Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Requesting Help- FI Fuel Line & Blown Head Gasket

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    This may not be directly related to a Blazer, but its a Chevy. Does anybody know how to determine which head has a blown head gasket? Also, does anybody know if you can use a rubber fuel line (high pressure fuel line) with a few clamps to join together steel line on a Fuel Injected vehicle, or what the best way to do that is. I can't (don't want to) remove the entire line. The vehicle is from New York. The lines, bolts and all associated equipment is rusted out. If I try and remove it, more problems will follow. I'd like to do the rubber fuel line idea if I can.

Thanks,

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If all the lines, bolts, harware etc. is rusted out I think you would be putting a bandaid on a possibly dangerous problem! Your fuel system is not a good place to cut corners. Nobody here wants to find out you blew up real good [​IMG]. As for the rubber line I don't know what kind of injection your vehicle has but some types of injection use a lot of pressure so again I would'nt risk it.
    Just my 2 cents

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

One of the easiest ways to figure out which heads got the bad gasket is to unbolt the exhaust from the manifolds then start the car. That should pinpoint it pretty quick. Also, a quick check of the plugs will give you a pretty good idea which side is trying to burn coolant.

As for the fuel line, fixing it that way "should" work, but like the other guy said, it may just be a bandaid fix. I've done this in emergency's and it works, I just didn't see how long. I fixed the fuel line pretty quick after that.

If things are rusted pretty bad, it may be tough to pull the exhaust loose, but I'm still pretty sure that would be about the quickest way.

HTH

Kyle
    89K5

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

If you buy rubber fuel injection hose (not regular hose), then it will hold the pressure of the EFI (yep, even 60 psi). If you can find them, get the clamps that are solid all the way around. Regular worm clamps will work, but the first time you have to remove the line, you will need to cut the end off because the clamp chewed on it.

Also, it's good practice to keep any rubber fuel line to a minimum.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash