Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

requesting solid, complete info on serp conversion please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Aug 7, 2003.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

sorry, ive searched and even saved info on the serp. conversion. i just need solid info to start with so i dont get in over my head. my rig cant be down for long cuz its my dd, so i hope u understand. what exactly and completely is needed and what years are best to get it from in the yard. my 305 is a 77' year model if that matters. does the water pump run backwards in all versions ? i was wanting to upgrade my fan and clutch and have intersting options for my motor in stock form, but will converting to serp make this possible ? also, will i need the newer models heads to because of bracket mounting ? any and all info will be greatly appreciated. thanks ahead of time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ttt

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

got no info, but i coulda swore somone did a write up on this, i searched the bloody knuckle and couldnt find it... if my memory serves me correct, i think Sandman did the write up, but that is kind of a half asses guess... good luck.

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I also belive its been written up before, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

1. Yes, all GM factory serpentine systems run the water pump backwards. You will need a reverse rotation water pump.

2. Since the water pump rotates backwards, you will need a fan and clutch from a serpentine setup that the blades are reversed.

3. Newer heads would help, but not entirely required. All but one hole is there on the older heads. This hole can be drilled. It would be on the pass side head, mocking up the pass side bracket will show where the hole needs to be. Mark it with a long center punch, pull the bracket off and you can start drilling. Take the drilling slow and keep the bit straight (up/down and side to side). Tap the hole for the bolt and you can start bolting it on. It can be done, just go slow.

Also, keep in mind a couple of changes that you have to adjust for. Your alternator and A/C compressor (if you got a/c) swap locations with the serpentine. You will need to upgrade to serpentine compressor so you have the right pulley on the clutch. This means you need new a/c lines to match the new location. Most Napa stores can make the lines, plus you can switch to R134a at this time too. The alternator needs a serpentine pulley and the wireing moved to reach the new location. Best thing to do here is to get an alternator for a 94/95 truck that will have the pulley you need and the output is 105 amps over the 63 amp output of your stock unit.

5. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is the link to Sandmans write-up, BTW its in the advance preview section/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Clicky

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Just to clarify, there are two different setups.

In 86 and 87(?) they used a serp/vbelt system. This type uses a serpentine belt for the fan and alternator. (Like Sandman's) They are still standard rotation, all you have to do is change the pulleys and get a belt. The AC and power steering still use a vbelt, they will also need longer belts.

The other type uses a serp. belt for everything. It was started in 88. It uses two alum. brackets and should bolt up to your block and heads. You will need to change out the AC compressor, water pump (reverse rotation), fan clutch, fan blade, alternator, and PS pump, and of course the pulleys.

Here's a place that sells the parts for the conversion. They are for a camaro, I'm not sure if the trucks were the same or not. http://www.thirdgenresource.com/pulleys_and_conversion_kits___used?b=1

7. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

You need to look for 88-92 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 engines. they all are reverse rotation and use the same components - except the caprice cop car has a different alternator (just read that on pirate). install a electric fan from a taurus while you're at it

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you go for the hybrid setup like in that writeup I did, It should be a piece of cake. If you go for the full conversion, You will have to change out the water pump and then get all of the individual components and setup stuff. I would go for the hybrid type as its easy quick to do and works real well. I went from squeeling, throwing belts to smooth operation in an afternoon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

some, if not all 88's,and maybe 89's used a one peice steel bracket for everything that was prone to cracking,then breaking all together.there was a service bulletin on it back in the day.try to avoid it,and get the more common aluminum brackets.

10. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

k, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif