Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REQUIRED READING FOR 700R4 LOVERS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ken, Nov 30, 2000.

1. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

OK ENOUGH!!! I no longer need to bash the 700. This must be considered required reading for all those 700 aficionados:

http://www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage/index.html

Once you get to this website, about half way down is a link to "Article Archives", click that then click on both "What is the perfect shift" and "700R4 Overhaul tips". He goes into pretty good detail on why it is stupid to install a Corvette Servo, for instance, on a non-Corvette 700. Excellent detail for us gearheads who want to know more than if the "700 will fit into my truck". Happy reading!!

ken

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene, I still haven't figured out how to post a hot link!!

ken

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ken, when you're in the window to add a post, click on the words "markup in your posts" just above and to the right of the window you enter your post into. It takes you to the page that tells you how to add all sorts of cool stuff. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Interesting stuff. So if I ever get around to actually installing the '87 'vette 700R4 I have in the garage (with something like 7800 miles on it!) then I should have a pretty good slush box. Cool! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

This is a pretty cool site. Its making me stop and think about Jet, B&M and Bowtieoverdrives and wondering if all those guys know what the hell they're talking about, or is this guy just another person with an opinion.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you really love the 700R4, you need to talk to Art Carr (artcarr.com) they make their own sprag's etc and rework alot of how the 700 operates.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

8. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I don't fully agree about the Corvette servo thing. The servo gives me a quick shift without feeling my neck snap like a shift kit would. Obviously a hard shift would be hard on parts. Common sense. A shift kit is like popping the clutch on every shift. The Corvette servo does not do that. I am talking quick shifts by listening to the engine, not how hard my neck snaps. Heat is bad and letting the clutchs shift too much creates heat. Slippage causes heat and a shift kit is harsh on parts. Thats why I like the Corvette servo, its inbetween. I can't change what I have heard for years and from personal experience because some guy has a website that contradicts everything I have heard for years. There are some good points but these upgrades he is against have worked for me a long time with no trans cooler (although I plan of getting one) and has been the best trans lasting wise and shifting wise. I wonder if he has personal experience with because these upgrades do not make is shift harsh, just fast. One article written by a guy with a website vs what I know and experience isn't going to change my mind about anything.Gee now I should worry and junk my trans because this guy says I am killing it a slow and painful death?? I don't think so

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have Vett servo and I totally agree with 87Blzr.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

11. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>i hate to disagree and start an arguement but you are wrong about a shift kit being hard on the tranny!! a shift kit actually makes the clutches and valvebody work faster thus reducing the amount of time the clutches slip in between shifts i.e. reduce friction,reduce heat,reduce wear and tear on your tranny..a shift kit helps a tranny but because it can shift faster and harder it is a little harder on say the u-joint or ring gear but i would gladly replace either of these instead of paying for a tranny rebuild!!</font color=purple>

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with 87blzr, I had a S10 that had the stock tranny in it, when it came time to rebuild it the thing would hardly move the truck. I was shown all of the clutches that came out of my tranny ( the guy who did it is also a very good friend of mine and owns his own shop) they didn't have any material left on them at all, this is due to lots of slipping shifting. I could never feel the rig shift before he rebuilt my tranny, when he did he upgraded some of the hard parts as well as installed a vett valve body and what a difference in how that thing shifted, it wasn't a hard shift, just a good solid shift. I don't have that rig any more but I have faith that the tranny will outlast the rest of the POS that was built around it.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Remember that that is one guys opinions, and as such should be taken with the same grain of salt as any information that comes from the web.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

14. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I think if I remember what I read. He was saying that a shift kit is not really bad for the tranny. But he is saying that the rest of the parts have to keep up with the new speed of the shifting, or there will be some binding.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com"

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Exactly, ftn. If you just install a Vette servo, and do nothing else, then you will cause other internal problems in the tranny. IF, however, the entire tranny is CORRECTLY modified by someone who knows what the hell they're doing, then a Vette servo can be very beneficial.
    As for the comment about JET, BowtieOverdrives, et. al. maybe not knowing what they're doing, I say this: Do you really think these vendors would still be around if the trannies they built were pieces of s#!t that had no lifespan? I remember wanting to put a JET 700R4 in my '86 Trans Am in '92 because the stock (last BAD year) tranny was about dead. 8 years later, JET is still selling trannies, has expanded their product line, and the tranny they sell now is probably even better than what they sold when I wanted one in '92.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!