Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

researching a persons military career

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dodgedude99, Nov 13, 2005.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

after putting a flag on my grandfathers grave on veterans day, it had got me wondering.
    is there any way i can find out, retrace, etc, etc, his military career?
    i was 8 months old when he died, so i had never had gotten to know him.
    i do know he was the 1st Infantry Division (The Big Red One) and went from Tunisia to Germany as far as battles.

my grandma had shown me his medals (he did confiscate so German medals as well) and a camera case that my grandma had said he had a Nazi prisoner engrave the places he has been on the leather case.

other then that, i dont know anything else.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you can get the records form the groverment for a small charge. I think the info is on the National arcives site if not genology sights are a good place to start

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

take his social security number to a vetran affairs office. VA office that is. look in the phone book for one, or get online and search. they might want proof that you are related, so thet might be difficult.

should be free, but might not be.
    Grant

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

thanks Ready, i just gotta bug grandma for some of his #s.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

FYI, There was a large fire in the archives in I think the 1970's, and a lot of servicemen's complete original records were destroyed before they were copied or put on microfiche.
    My wife was looking for some of her biological fathers history when we found this out.
    If what you've got doesn't help yet, I'll try to find the resources we were using for my wife's search and pass them on to you. I think there was some magic form she could fill out that would give her just about everything we were looking for.

I just did a quick google to try and get my memory right on the records fire, and came up with this that may be helpful:
    http://www.armyairforces.com/help.asp

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Military has forms for everything. I even have a form I fill out at work for a 'box request'. Shipping packages are supposed to be re-used, so if I lose the box something came in, I have to fill out box paperwork (in duplicate of course).