Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reserve tanks on '72

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Apr 22, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Reserve tanks on \'72

So the '72 I bought had 2 12 gal. reserve tanks built into the sidewall on each side of the bed. PO removed one (don't know why) and left the pass. side tank. It is rhino lined like the rest of the interior, rectangular steel (about 10"Wx24"Hx30") narrowing up over wheel well. My questions are as follows:

Has anyone ever seen this setup?
    Should I keep/is it safe?
    How do I get rid of the hole left from removal of drivers side tank? (maybe put CB ant. mount there?)
    What do I do with all my jerry cans? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also the fuel line and inline filter look a little shady to me (not tucked away well etc.)

Any advice appreciated.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Re: Reserve tanks on \'72

It's aftermarket of some kind. Popular for that style truck since they had such a small tank.

In '72 (and possibly 71 also) there was an option for an auxiliary tank. Mounted like the 73-87 saddle tank, only it didn't hang under the cab.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I just checked, 23 1/2 gal. tank, I think I better keep the reserve. I wonder how much that tank with 12 gal of gas weighs, could it make me lopsided?

I'll just figure out a way to tuck away the line and filter, and hopefully an easy way to fill the hole left from the dr. side one that's gone.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first K5 was a 72. The PO added a set of side tanks from a 78 K20, so I had 3 tanks total. I normally ran off the main tank (Original) but it was nice on long trips to have the extra tanks. Got expencive too fill all 3 of them though.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Back in 93 when I was hunting for a K5 one of the rustbuckets I saw had thease tanks you talk about. I don't have any info other than I saw them before too.
    Oh and my 72 had a 21 galon tank in it but I swaped it out for 37gallon NWMP tank.
    http://www.nwmp.com/
    Good luck

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, I think I'll keep it and hold off on the $500 tank from NWMP. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Does anyone know the diam. of a CB ant mount that would mount on rear quarter, that seems like my easiest option for covering the hole left from the other res. tank.