Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Resetting proportioning valve.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Codeman96, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Can someone please tell me how to reset the prop valve on my '92 Suburban without the factory tool?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If the newfangled trucks are like the old ones -- and that's a big if -- you can just push the rubber nipple button thing in with your thumb.

The factory tool for the older trucks can be made from flat stock, either welded or bent at the end, and a slot cut via some method (angle grinder). See attached.

All it does is HOLD the button in, i.e. center the pressure-difference-sensor, whilst you're bleeding the brakes.

Again, this may or may not apply to your truck.

http://www.slosh.com/dremu/brake-tool-for-combo-valve-1.JPG

http://www.slosh.com/dremu/brake-tool-for-combo-valve-2.JPG

-- A

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hammer!..

I used a claw hammer head to hold the button in!..be aware on some proportioning valves,you have to PULL OUT the button!..I've only had to mess with that button once on one truck I had--a few weeks later after bleeding the brakes,I lost the pedal again!..the proportioning valve was leaking bad!..so I try to avoid disturbing them...using my home brewed vacuum bleeder,I havent had to touch one in years..:crazy:

4. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

I've had fairly good luck with just cracking one front and one rear bleeder and then giving the brake pedal a good stomp.