Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Respect the trails!!! There goes my tire....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, May 30, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Finally got to go wheeling over the past weekend after getting my blazer together. Came upon a nice mud pit that had been conqured in a while figured I'd give it a shot, I got a winch also known sometimes as a stupid leash... 3/4 of the way thru and what happens? Damn tire blows up![​IMG] Some a$$hole decided to be wise and dump a bunch of springs, like from a couch or something, in the hole. Ate my tire up like it was shreded wheat.[​IMG] [​IMG] Why the hell do some people feel the need to do stuff like this. It's not like they can gain from it in anyway. I have a spare, not with me of course, but I did have one. Cost me $170 to replace the damn thing and now I have 3 tires with 50-60% tread old style BFGs and one new one KO style. Man I am peved! Sorry just had to vent... Am I the only one with this luck? This is the second time somethign like this has happen but at least last time it was with the stock tires......Ok I'm done [​IMG]

You call that dirty!?

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I hear ya brother, people constantly litter up the dunes out here by me, Everywhere you look there is trash, bottles, truck parts, etc. You can hardly drive in a straight line without running over it. These same idiots are the ones that wonder why the Sierra Club tries to close it down. Wish the rangers would enforce the littering laws !!
    OKAY, Now im done....

STOLEN '89 K5 - 4" lift. Found in Compton,
    stripped and dismantled.
    New Blazer on the way !!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I feel your pain man!!!

Here in town we use the river beds for cruising on and playing in the waters. A few years back, we went back down for the start of the summer only to find beer cans, bottles, trash, etc. EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] There goes our 'playground'!!!!!!! [​IMG] Turns out the local a$$hole highschool kids had parties there for the past school year and never did a damn thing about cleaning anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we are in the search for someplace else to go play! [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

A few years ago I was wheelin in a great mud pit mhere I used to live .Made a couple of passes thru then decided to make a pass thru the realy deep part.Made it thru but my steering was all messed up and something was in my fan.I get out and look only to find about 5 miles of galvinized cable wadded up a tangled around every thing.It was wrapped around both axles about 20 times.We couldnt get it undone so my friend took me to get my portable oxy/acetelyne setup to cut it out.2 hours cutting cable from under yer truck with mud falling on yer head aint my idea of a good day o muddin.What is up with the dix that do stuff like this?

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think if the park rangers or whoever oversees the littering of trails did their jobs, then the enviro-nazi's would have less to stand on. Just my .02 cents though. I'm now going to take a stick with me and poke around in a mud hole before going through it [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=orange>hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?</font color=orange>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A lot of places allow you to report litterers if you witness it. Unfortunately I never have witnessed wholesale dumping (the ones that end up with 10 garbage bags of crap laying on the ground) but if I ever do, you can be damn sure I will take the plate # down and the proper authority will be notified.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

As frustrating as all this can be its also our job as wheelers to try and pack out more garbage than we bring in...[​IMG]
    Our club has a monthly clean up run on a trail we adopted, I've never had so much fun cleaning up after somebody. If we all try and set the example most people will follow suit.

For the few that will always think they can get away with dumping crap on the trails...I hope there is a special hell just for you!

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Well I am not going to say I was partically supposed to be where I was, there are no signs posted but it is within the powerlines up state...... Reguardless, this doesn't mean that people should treat the place like their personal dumping grounds....[​IMG]

You call that dirty!?

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Around here when an outfit finishes logging off an area you can usualy go down and play in the ruts and mudholes.
    The last time I was down in my favorite one there were couches and all kinds of garbage everywhere. Now there is a gate and nobody can use the trails. I have been seeing more and more of this.
    It WAS cool to have some trails to play on 5 minutes from my house.
    It only takes a few to screw it up for everyone.
    See ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

same here in my area! we lost sawgrass pond,slick 50,bryant lake and the sand pits,all with in 5 yrs!!!![​IMG]these places were killer!and now theyre gone.ill admit i was one of the yahoos out there,but i at least threw my bottles in the fire pit,and not all over.our whole group did that,yea we shoulda takin it back out with us but at least it was all in one collective place and most everything got burned up or melted.now that im older i wouldnt even burn the stuff,id take it back out with me.there was a place at sawgrass pond that noone ever went,its because under the mud was all sorts of crap!its a shame that i cant bring my kids to those places,we had alot of fun there.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'M PISSED!

Reading this post made me SICK!

What in the hell are you thinking. (in general, no one spisific!!!). Passing the resposibility on to someone else. Com'on.
    It's our responsibility, NO ONE ELSE! We use it, we need to clean it up and take care of OUR land! Regadless of who dumped it, Its our mess! Would you just let some trash sit in your back yard, just because you didn't put it there? Ofcouse you wouldn't. So what the difference with the trail you use? If WE don't clean it up. Who will! The park Rangers? It's not thier job! It's OUR JOB to keep it clean and open!

If a trail closes, that you used- and you did nothing to stop it. Who's fault is that? What did you do to keep it open? Or did you contribute to it closeing? ---AND NOW YOUR MAD!
    That makes me illl.

When I hit the trails ( hike, bike or wheel) I PACK OUT EVERYTHING I TAKE, AND EVERYTHING I SEE.
    Do you?- No? Well say good bye to your favorite trail!

I will join some orginization that supports my intrestes. I will contribute. I will do everything I can to keep our land open, for US! Will you do the same for me?

Twiztid

(I'm very disapointed in our CK5 members!)

12. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

IM with twiztid here if your up on the trail or waht ever pick up other peoples crap its not your duty but hey if they tossed the crap in your drive way youd pickup it up i liveon a big farm and people constly dump sh!t out here it pisses me off but hey it does no good just to let it lay there the person who put it there isnt going to come back and pick it up so toss some garbe bags in you blazer and put all there sh!t in there if you ahve pickup toss it in the back or even better get a group togethr and make a day out of it like rene said they do and less i think was rene might of been wes any way Then it doesnt jsut help clean the places up but shows the cumminty you care about the hills and trails and jsut dont want to go tear it up and leave it mess so if they see you care they will stay open
    any way im done

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

13. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I must agree!! We, here in the southeast part of colorado have lost allot of ground that used to be good 4/wheeling, ridiing around on a Sunday Afternoon, Picnicking, or whatever. Allot of the problem was with the younger generation who don't give a d**n about anyone but their own satisfaction at the time. A bunch of us went out and picked up trash, filled the bonfire pits, filled our k5's with beer bottles and cans, etc. Then one of these party nights got a little too much and a kid was killed. After that we could not even talk to the land owners because of the liability insurance they had to get on their property just so they could drive on it let alone anyone else. It seems that the younger generation is really screwing up things that everyone likes to do. They don't take responsibility for their actions. Even though we were packing their trash, cleaning up after their beer busts etc, when it came down to it it was us that got the shaft. I am not referring to the younger k5er's. Just because I am older than dirt doesn't make me immune to getting mad to get my favorite romping grounds off limits because of some irresponsible a$$holes. You younger k5er's take a little stock in this, and if you have friends who do this--kick a$$!! Oh NO, I knew I was making a mistake in that last statement, you young k5er's wouldn't hang around with those kind of individuals anyway. Sorry, didn't want to imply that anyone would hang out with that kind of people!! Well, that is my $.02 worth. Just pick up what you bring +. We will all be better off in the long run!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

You have no idea how many refridgerators,hotwater tanks, ect that I have packed out, not to mention all the garbage that I pack out.
    But the next time it is all back. realy sad.
    It shouldn't be my job but I do it anyway.
    The big appliances I store at my house and sooner or later the scrap guy shows up and hauls it away.
    The garbage I can burn behind the house.
    With the landfill being 40 miles away and costing $50 to dump your stuff, I guess somepeople would rather let someone else do it for them.
    It's pretty bad.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

15. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

We've got more unofficial landfills around here than I can count. I do hand it to some of these losers though - we found an ancient icebox out in the middle of nowhere once, packed it home and cleaned it up, and got 300 bucks out of an antique dealer for it.

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'M SLIGHLY LESS PISSED NOW!

I was NOT pointing the finger at anyone here! I used the word "you" as a general term, I'm not upset with any, one individual. But I hope I got my point across! I think I read more into that than there was, So I'm sorry if anyone took my reply the wrong way. It just happend to hit a cord with me, this past weekend I hitt the hills with my dogs, like I try to do every weekend, and was absolutely discusted with what I saw and had that in mind when I made my reply. The post "I know, wrong area, but important", 131 hits and only 4 replys, thats it? Just 4 people that care about our land? We need to do better than that. I see and hear about land being closed, and trails being closed, almost on a daily basis. It is a one-way street, Its alot easier to close a trail than it is to open one up. STEP UP AND HELP OUT!

Twiztid

17. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Er...um.....I meant by if the park rangers did their jobs, they would see the people who go in there and litter time after time and write them a hefty ticket. I didn't mean it was their responsability to clean up. It's everybody's responsability. I always load up when wheeling. [​IMG]]

<font color=orange>hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?</font color=orange>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

WOW TWIZ!now i feel worse than i already did!i know that what i did in the past was wrong(even tho we contained our mess)but knowing it was wrong doesnt change a thing.its what ill do now that matters.i hadnt been going to these places too long when they closed,but i didnt help matters any to keep them from closing.on the brite side tho,its when we lose a trail or spot that makes us more aware of the problem and do more to clean up what we have left.you said you used you as in the general public and i know it wasnt directed towards ME but it really hit home.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

19. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

Just to thoso old folks there are some of us younger gen. that dont go and f**k stuff so quit blameing the whole younger gen we do f**k up a lot but there is still some good kids around anyway plus look at what gen is or parents

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'M SOOO, NOT PISSED NOW!

I honestly did not intend to rip into anyone here!

I'am very passionate about this and I was very upset, it sounded like everyone was trying to "pass the buck" and not take any responsibility to take care of the problem themselves. I used phrases from the replys to bring the point home, not to point a finger. And it looked like it worked! (Are you thinking about what you can do to help now?) I'am upset that the "Land use" issues seam to take a back burner here, and my most resent tip to the hills with my dogs, proved to me that the issues need be brought up to the front. The littering is horible, and trails are closeing, allmost on a daily basis. We've lost some of the bigger name trails, trails that I might have had the chance to take, but now, I don't even have a choice! That is a big hit to all of us.

Twiztid

(I'm going to check out "BlueRibbon Coalition" and "United Four Wheel Drive Association" this weekend, Would you like to know what I find?)