Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Resperator for sand blasting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddin_Mavric, May 28, 2002.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

My dad has a sand blaster and is having me do some sand blasting but he told me to just wear a dust mask and thats what i have been doin but i know when i wear one to paint i end up with paint on the sides of my noise and chin so some is sneekin by. So i know the silica sand causes cancer and some other breathing desise (says the back of the bag) and after reading the bag i have decided i will no longer be blasting till i get somthing better that just a dust mask.

I went and looked at the hardware store and all the resperators (most expensive $40) their said not to use for abrasive blasting. Is their a resperator that will work for sand blasting or will those work? i know it will be better than a dust mask.

thanx for any info you can give me on the subject.

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.comREMOVE

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I use one for painting. It's has the double filters that are changable. Has a charcoal as well as a filter material. How well it works...Uhhhh hard to say but I bet I'm getting far less crud in my lungs that I am driving down trail 1 in Tellico if it hasn't rained in a few days. Might check your yellow pages and see if you can find an auto paint store. most sell anything to do with auto body and panit work. Might talk to those guys and see if they have something better for blasting.

3. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You're right. Don't use a dust mask. They're just for nuisance dust. If you get a respirator make sure it fits your face. Part of my job is asbestos removal and we can't have a beard, or even skip a day shaving because of interfering with the fit.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I do quite a bit of sand blasting, but not the media type. Just fine sand.

Yes, I use a resperator when doing this work. I also wear the full face cover with the hard hat inside it. Not too much sand can get in that type of head covering, but the resperator helps. You will have no problems with the resperator if you use the full head cover.

5. hen i sand blast, i use a dust mask and a full face chield with a helment.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

www.grainger.com probably has what you're looking for. They sell all kinds of industrial supplies. They aren't the cheapest, but they carry an amazing inventory of stuff! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I use the canister filter type. If you are worried about the silica, switch to the more expensive black blasting media. I get the sand for 1.50 a bag and the black stuff is 4.50 a bag. I use the black stuff in my blasting cabinet and the sand outside with a good mask. I put a small shop vac on the blasting cabinate and removed the filter from the shop vac. I put a hole in the cabinet for intake air (so it wouldn't suck the gloves in) and piped the outlet of the vacuum to the outside with 1-1/2 pvc. Works GREAT. I used a shower drain for the connection to the cabinet for the suction.

Harbor Freight has CHEAP blasting cabinets you can modify with a few good air fittings, beter hose clamps etc. that work well.

Get the black stuff if you want to breath less hazardous material.

I'd make sure Dad understands what he is asking you to breath, then ask him to go to Lowes with you for a new, canister mask.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Everything you wanted to know about respirators, and more......<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/87-116.html>http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/87-116.html</a>

I use a full face Scott, as I'm part of a HAZMAT team at work.