Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Respooling Alternators?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 13, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Anywhere I can get it done? I'm not familiar with any shops that specialize in this. I would like to get my stock alternator bumped up to over 100 amps. I have a powermaster 1 wire 100 amp alt, but I'm not sure if it would cause any problems, since the stock alt has the 1 wire plug a little plug harness that goes to the stock one. How much would it cost to get a stock alt rewound to a higher amperage?
    thanks,
    James

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

upgrade..

J.C. Whitney used to sell alternator "beef up" kits consisting of a new stator,and other parts to increase the amperage output..I noticed a disclaimer in the ad saying output will be LESS at idle and low speed than a stock alternator..not much of an "upgrade" if you ask me,on a truck used for off roading that seldoms sees much high rpm use..

You'd be better off swapping in a CS144 GM alternator ,like many others here have(use the SEARCH button!)..its practically a bolt on,and is available fairly cheap off a boneyard donor,rather than paying big bucks for a name brand one..I think a 1 wire alternator could be used on an older GM truck that used to have the 2 prong plug too...someone here will know..:crazy:

3. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

I had mine done at an alternator specialty shop around here, cranks out about 160 amps now

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I have a 140amp Summit 1 wire alt but they are made by PowerMaster.
    I know this as I recieved a warrenty notice from PowerMaster for it.

Anyway I converted my 1 wire to the regular 3 wire just by taking out the rubber plug and plugging in my factory harness.

I called powerMaster's Tech. line before I did this because I assumed I would have to replace the Voltage regulator before doing this.Tech guy said"no,you can just remove that rubber plug"

I havn't had any charging problems since doing this and it's been about 2 years.

I have also changed the stator core and rotor in a 10Si to bump up it's output.I bought the stator core and rotor at a auto electric place but if you have one of those they prob. would be able to do it for you.I did it only because I wanted to learn how to.
    The diode trio and regulator did not need to be replaced when I made the switch to the higher amp stator core.

Here a site that shows you how to wind your own stator(if your interested)
    http://www.mtmscientific.com/rewind.html

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Interesting. :thinking: