Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Restoration - Body Integrity and Crossmember

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JungleBoy, May 14, 2001.

1. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Good morning all from Houston
    I am preparing to pull the Jimmy body off the frame, after having replaced the floorboards, lower pillars front and rear, and rear quarters.

COWL ROTATION
    While mounting the doors, it was obvious that the weakened front pillars (now replaced) allowed the cowl to tilt rearward. The body guy is concerned that without the top, the cowl will sag in the future, compromising door fit and paint. Looks to me that the front clip (off now) will tend to support the cowl - it should be in tension (?). Rocker boxes intact and sound. Anyone have experience here? As the trucks were offered without tops, I would guess everything will be OK, but would appreciate input from those of you with experience.

REAR CROSSMEMBER
    I need another rear crossmember, as I plan to install a big Aerotank. The original is gone and was replaced by a beefy hitch that I believe may interfere with the new tank. Are these the same for Blazers/Jimmys as for pickups? Anyone got one (or two)?

Thanks and take care
    JB