Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

restored faith in humanity and a MAC machine question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 21, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I lost my Debit card somewhere between last night and this afternoon. I believe I left it in the MAC machine :doah: anyone know if most MACs eat the cards after a certain amount of time?

Now anyway, I didn't discover this until about 1:30 this afternoon, as I was standing at a gas pump in the middle of Pennsylvan(right by Harrisburg) with about 2 gallons in my car and NO cash. I begged with the guys at the station but they wouldn't let me phone in my dad's card number(even after Discover called them and said it was verified and fine). In fairness I never let people do that when I worked at a gas station, though that was more because I had no idea HOW to do it... Anyway, I jumped back on the turnpike, got off of it, turned around and headed East. Figured I would find another station and see if they let me, if nothing else I am headed back towards home and closer I am, quicker my dad can come give me cash. Well I am again, DENIED, so I start walking to the car all pissed at myself. I get there and see this old guy who was in the store walk by and hand his ice cream cone to his friend. He reaches in his pocket and hands me a $20, says "you need gas money I'm guessing?". I thanked him greatly and asked for his number so I could get his information and pay him back, to which he refused, saying, "been there before". So between the $20 and the $1.76 in change in my car I got 8 gallons and made it back here with about 1/8th of a tank left. So for the afternoon anyway, I feel good about people.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Still a FEW good eggs left...

Yes,its nice to see not everyone in the world is a selfish A-hole!...I have met a few people who came to my rescue before,and refused any payment for their assistance..too bad there are SO many who COULD help others,but choose to help themselves instead...there are a lot more people out there who WONT help than ones that will--and I've found the most generous are often also the least able to afford to give anything away--yet they do,and are glad they could help!--while those who walk on by and look the other way have a wad of cash that would choke a horse,but they wont give a dime..

Its nice to know there are a few good people left in the world!--but they are an endangered species.. :crazy:

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

since he wouldn't let you pay him back, now you have to "pay it forward" like that movie. :D

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

MAC?
    ATM??? :confused:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes, its a brand of ATM system(now renamed Star). I call ATMs, MACs.

Yeah, my dad said the samething about paying it forward(not in those words). I told myself the next car I saw with a flat, I'd stop and help, however I saw no more the rest of the ride home :doah: I'll find another chance.

6. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

what does mac stand for then?

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's pretty cool.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nothing that I know of. Its like calling a Tissue a Kleenex, wtf is a Kleenex? Nothing its just a brand name.

And apparently its a regional thing.... cause all I found when I searched was something from the Philadelphia Police Department on safety at the mac machine.

http://www.ppdonline.org/prev/prev_pers_mac.php

9. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

ATM = Automatic Teller Machine
    MAC = Money Access Cards

I guess that is what I was asking.

:D
    On a side note, I enjoy when people say "I need to go to an ATM machine." Doesnt the 'M' on ATM mean machine? :haha:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep, we were talking about that in class a while ago. Everyone says "ABS System".... Anti-lock Braking System