Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Restoring a Sitting Truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by riggz, Feb 9, 2005.

1. riggz

riggz Registered Member

Hey, this is my first official post so go easy on me if I sound a bit ignorant.

I have an 87 K5 Blazer w/ 350 TBI (stock). I parked the truck in the driveway a few years back. Hasnt moved but maybe twice since then. I'd like to start working on getting it back into good condition. My questions are:

1.) What precautions should I take since it hasnt been run for such a long period of time?

2.) I need to replace some body panels, (both doors, passenger front fender, hood, grill) and some interior parts such as the dash and carpet. What would you all suggest for parts? Local junk yards or just buying OEM replacements from some place like JCWhitney?

3.) I plan on having the engine rebuilt and bored .40 over. Anyone have any local shop recommendations in the Atlanta, GA area?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! :)

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

As for precautions on sitting.. I dont' know if its been sitting long enough to warrant this but priming the engine with one of those tools that connects to the oil pump through the disty hole. It would get lube to everything before you start it up. Mind you, if you are rebuilding anyways then I wouldn't worry too much about that. You may have to charge the battery and possibly spray some fuel into the carb if the fuel has drained back.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get rid of the gas in the tank. It is bad. Drain and refill all the fluids in the truck. Repack the wheel bearings. Check all the systems of the truck most importantly the steering and braking systems.

Do a complete once over on the truck. Anything that you think might need to be replaced probably should be.

Harley

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

check the fuel lines also, they get bad sitting. mine had a pin hole and it starved for gas. you'll love ck5, great people.:) :)

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

check everything made from rubber,blown out lines of any type can be dangerous!

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5. Like everyone said fresh gas would be a god idea, especially since it's fuel injected. A new battery, a thorough examination of the condition of the tires, and a complete oil change in the engine and transmission. Power steering, rear end, and brakes could use new fluid but not as critical as the other two.

I second LMCtruck, much better fitment and quality than JC whitney.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

English? lol:grin:

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

"Hi, i have just recently purchased my very first K5. I love my truck, however, i am unhappy with the prices on good quality replacement parts set by the reputable manufacturers who offer them for sale."

the second line gets a bit sketchy to me, i think he says something about aquiring an Eminem CD ("I Get A Bad Rap" :dunno: )

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

great.. more idiots making skating look bad... :mad:

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Just another brainless hack. Go entertain yourself somewhere else. You've posted nothing but garbage from day one. If anyone else is sick of this POS please clicky your B-post button. The sooner your shown the out door the better.

12. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

I've run cars with gas that had sat for over a year and it was ok. I don't live in a humid climate though. If you don't care much about the engine in it, just try to start it up. If you can get it running the truck will write you a grocery list of parts to be replaced for you.:grin:

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've awakened the dead in junkyards!

We got lots of cars running in the junkyard that had sat for years--usually all we did was see if the motor was free-the ones that werent we'd try to "persuaude" them gently with a pry bar on the ring gear,most of them broke free fairly easy,some we would pull the spark plugs out and flood the cylinders with oil if they were real tight,and we were careful not to force it too hard with the bar to prevent damage to piston rings,we condemmed any that felt stiff after a few turns,those motors usually only ran a few minites and blew up( great fun though!:crazy: )
    most of the rest ran pretty well after getting spark back by filing the points and then the usual carb flooding,etc--from gummy varnishy gas and rust from sitting--its amazing how many of those motors we sold that had sat many years without major damage,some were not well protected from the weather either!.

Its important to change the oil soon after starting it,better if you can afford to put new oil in before starting it up at all,and doing it again soon after,to avoid pumping any water/oil mix from condensation in the crankcase thru the whole system--unless the oil looks clean still,I'd change it if its sat more than a year or so..
    .I'm willing to bet most of the motors that blew shortly after being "woken up" was due to the thick grey gooey mayonaise sludge in the bottom of the oilpan and pump screens of most of them had in them when we did an autopsy to see if the block was still useable for a core..

Also check all your brake lines for rust,and the rubber hoses for dry rot and cracks--while your under there you might as well see how far from the driveway you'll get before the exhaust system or muffler drops to the ground,or turns to dust....:crazy:

Old tires can kill you too!--I have driven more than one old GM truck home from where it was growing a root and had decent looking tires literally explode after 10 miles at 55+mph!!:yikes: :yikes: --the bottom of the tire gets dry rotted from touching the ground and might still look halfway decent,but its full of cracks,and can come apart on you --might want to look real good at the tires if you have to drive it very far,or plan on getting fresher tires...:crazy:

14. riggz

riggz Registered Member

Well, the exhaust was converted to true dual about 5 years ago with new high flo cats. only thing thats old is the headers. But yeah im sure the gas is quite old and the oil with it. I've got a new battery and working on replacing the main cables. The tires are somewhat bald so they'll be the first to get replaced. I orded catalogs from LMC and Chevy Duty's websites so I'll start looking there for body parts.

How much should I expect to pay for a complete engine rebuild and boring .40? I'd like to squeeze a few more ponies out of her so any recommendations would be helpful! Don't want to spend too much and have a race engine, but just something beefy. Thanks!

15. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I hate it when I get harrased "your just a no good skater punk" & "You need to leave here your messing everything up, last week that rail was nocked over" No I respect most of the laws and only useually skate parks and on occasion a lil vert. There are times that Me and my friends will set up a handrail and a few ramps in a parking lot but were not damaging anything, but are own personal property. But there are a few skaters out there that give us a bad name. It is a shame