Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Resume-Coverletter

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 21, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

when you guys apply for jobs, do you just drop off your resume? Or do you include anything with it? I.E. Coverletter or something?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Use a cover letter as an opportunity tio address things specific to the job and your interests/qualifiactions as they relate to the job. Your resume is more general.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I find it helpful to wrap my resume around a rock and throw it through the window of a potential employers car.

Nah just kidding. What he said. :waytogo:
    Your resume should be something you can hand to anyone to describe your work/education experience. The cover letter should be something you personalize for the potential employer. A little message about why you'd be good for that job with that company, or why you think they would benefot from giving you an opportunity, etc.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Well put.

I always give a little more wieght to an applicant who has a cover letter, just gives the impression they've put some more effort into it.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you have fax machine you should fax Kim a copy of your resume. She does resumes for a living(she's done over 1000 in the last 5 years), and she probably wouldn't mind looking it over to make sure it's up to snuff.

As far as a cover letter, YES, you really should include a job specific cover letter for each place you apply. Make sure you put the company's name and address on the top of the letter. In the text, mention the position you're applying for and how your qualifications apply to the job in question.

If you're interested, Kim just offered to re-write your resume for you, free of charge. If I was you, I would take her up on the offer. She normally charges a minimum of $50........:deal:

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Take her up on the offer Stave!!! A professionally written resume will really catch the attention of employers.

Just make sure she doesn't leave out your pattymelt talents, prehensile tail abilities and how dextrous your tiny monkey hands are.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The thing with the coverletter is I'm not looking for a paticular job at certain places. I'm just looking for any job, so I can't really say that in the coverletter.
    Paul, thanks for the offer but I don't know if I have time, my mom wants me to hand them out tomorrow???

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well i ended up spending 1.5 hours rewriting my resume and making 2 coverletters: canadian tire and Staples.

9. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

good luck.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks.
    Canadian Tire isn't hiring right now.
    Staples resume person that reads them over isn't there for a few days. So I have to wait a few days to find out.

Im nervous as heck. I was sweating up a storm when I was filling out the application forms. :o