Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Resurfacing Cylinder Heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Sep 5, 2000.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What if any effect will resurfacing of heads do to performance on my 350? I had my aluminum heads resurfaced a couple weeks ago, and I don't have the "stomp" on it power that I used to -

Also, at higher RPMs - freeway speeds- the tranny kickdown (T350) isn't kicking in right - it kicks down, but doesn't go any faster - just makes the engine scream - what could cause this?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Resurfacing your heads should give you a mild increase in Compression Ratio depending on how much was machined off.

After it was re-assembled was everything tuned back to the same specs as before? This sounds like a tuning problem. Were any other mods made when you redid the heads?

I'm not sure about your kickdown problem, does the TH 350 use a kickdown cable? If it does is it out of adjustment?

I'm not doubting your ability but there is a lot of dis-assembly and reassembly going on when the heads are removed and sometimes re-adjustments are necessary after.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes there is a kickdown cable on a TH350... but I am not 100% sure on how to adjust it.

As far as the head resurfacing goes, it would bring up your compression ratio. try advancing the timing a little and maybe running a higher octane.. Are you getting any pinging?

Although they probably did'n take much off and there maybe a different problem.

Try the timing and the fuel and go from there.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Emmet, I hope you mean retarding the timing (due to higher comp ratio), not advancing[​IMG]. Advancing it would definetly increase pinging, or atleast the risk of it. I had my heads resurfaced a while ago. They took about 0.030 off them. In terms of cc´s.....maybe 1 or 2...maybe more, maybe less....I dunno.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Don't know how much you took off the heads.But if you took alot sometimes you have too have the manifold resurfaced also too make the ports and sealing surfaces mate back together.Just a thought.But just like the others said timing and fuel too compensate for the higher comp.

6. IGOR

Okay- thanx I'll try that this week

7. IGOR

Okay- thanx I'll try that this week

Any ideas how to adjust the Tranny kickdown?

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

TH350 Kickdown cable is not adjustable. It connects to the detent control valve in the valve body. With the other problems you are having, this may be related to the vacuum on the engine side. Make sure that you have a good seal to the vacuum line that goes to the vacuum modulator on the transmission. Also check the kickdown cable connection at the carb that it is not binding on the linkage. On my 79, the vacuum line that goes to the modulator is metal and has a small section of vacuum line to make connections at the ends. Check that line and make sure that it is not kinked, pinched, etc.