Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rethinking my Buildup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 8, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I've been looking up prices, and I could basically have my burban lifted and sitting on 38" TSL's for $1500. This is doable by the end of the summer with my budget. From my understanding, it is very difficult for an amature like me to install gears myself, and the local 4WD Shop wants $1000 just for the labor. I'm not sure if there's a cheaper way to go with gears, but as far as I can see, they aren't in my budget anytime soon. I'm afraid my 3.73's won't be much with 38's. So:
    Will it Damage my truck to run 38's with 3.73's, not conserned with boiling the tires over, just want a taller stance untill I can find a way to somehow get my truck deeper gearing? I feel I wouldn't be satisfied without with smaller tires, and would only have the urge to go bigger. Is my transmission going to explode if I try this setup for a temporary solution (probably about a year or two) :confused:

I need some guidance on my buildup, I am a college student with such limited funds :crazy:

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

no..

it won't damage the truck to run 38 with 3.73's you just arn't gonna get anywhere fast, and i hope you live in an area with no hills, because its gonna take some effort to get over it....my 35's with 3.73s was a dog...

no your tranny won't explode..once you get going and get up to speed your rpms will be in a good range.. = good gas milage

now what will damage with 38s?..what kinda axles do you have? if they are 1/2 tons..its not a matter of if, but when they could break..

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, either visit or call around to some smaller local shops.. you can get gears done for $100-ish per axle, sometimes less. Don't ever let 4wpw work on your rig... and don't buy POS Genuine Gears from them either. They are the worst gears on the market. Get some gears / install kits from an online vendor either here on CK5 or over on pirate and have a local shop install them. 3.73s with 38s isn't gonna work so well... you'll want atleast 4.56s... maybe even lower.

j

4. 78Suburban

3/4 ton with open diffs. I'm not really planning on hardcore offroad right now. Its going to be more like camping, running down slick dirt roads with occasional mud holes, and an occasional run into town or to a friends' house.

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

well if thats the case you should be ok. like i said before, you wont damage or blow up the tranny ..you just won't get anywhere fast..

as for the gears..you will get many opinions on here..personally i would run 4.88s with 35s and 5.13s with 38s...
    but like i said, you will get a lot of opinions on this..i base my opinion on the fact i worked at a gear/axle shop...and those were the combination of ratios and tire sizes that customers were most happy with..

6. 78Suburban

I was thinking 5.13's because I could go with bigger tires in the future. How much would a ring and pinion at that ratio cost for the front and rear? I'm really scared of the local shops around here, many of these mechanics are inbred and do things that are down right scary. How could I find a reliable, not pricy shop?

How much money would I be looking at to buy the gears, install kits, and paying a shop? Does anyone know of a good shop in Middle Georgia, or Alabama?
    Thanks

7. jekbrown

dude, you live in Georgia? give these guys a ring...

www.classiccityoffroad.com

Bobby over there gave me the best price Ive seen in 2 years of searching on gears for my D60/ff14b... and you don't even have to pay shipping! They do installs to. Never been there myself, so I dunno what their shop / shop guys are like, but since you are close you could swing by and check it out for yourself. BTF is down south too I think...

j

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

One thing I haven't seen anyone ask or mention yet... Are you running a stick or auto?

If an auto.... Invest in a big tranny cooler! With larger tires and high gears, you will generate more heat in the tranny and possibly do damage. It wont happen right away but over time there is a possibility....

9. 78Suburban

turbohyrdomatic 400

I gave classic city a call and I think I will just save up and get them to put 5.13 gears in. in the mean time I will just wheel the truck bone stock and save up as much money as I can. By the time the truck is lifted, on tires with new wheels, and geared, I will probably have invested close to $2500.
    The whole suburban didn't cost me but $1000. :crazy:

I figure I would be better off doing it right than driving a truck that is doggy and will overheat my tranny. I just need to work hard and be more patient I suppose.

10. jekbrown

good idea. CCOR is a great place to get gears. I got my d60/ff14b 5.13 yukons from them for quite a bit less than 4wpw charges for Gen-u-crap gears.

j

11. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

now let me preface this by saying that i am cheap, broke, and stupid, but by shopping around i have managed to get 38.5X12.50r16.5 TSL's($10), 16.5x8.25($15 for 2 used and $85 for 2 new) wheels, and a 4" superstiff lift w/shocks and blocks($100, thanks BHINTZ) with a little effort, but since the burb i'm putting them on, cost me $100, i think it'll work out alright.

Sure, my rim pattern doesnt match, my tires only have 10/32's in the center(stupid mallcrawlers....), and the lift was very thoroughly, previously enjoyed, but again i'm broke and cheap so its good enough for me, i will not have the most beautiful truck but who cares...

i only wish i hadn't poured money into a engine, since i bought a 73 1ton with a roller cam motor, 465, and 14ff w/4.11's for $475 :saweet: not to mention the new Int manifold, new carb, new flowmasters,etc

For me, gears are definately a time to pay the cash, but i've talked to every gearshop in town and when the time comes; i know i'm as informed as i can be, and will drop the cash without think twice.

my point is save money when you can, spend money when you have too, but be aware of the downfalls of not knowing when to do what. ask questions from anyone that doesnt throw you out of the building.

i would rather every member here assume i'm a moron; than spend my money foolishly and prove it to myself

just my $.02 but again im stupid so what do i know....

oh btw i'm now going 4.56's with the 38's but was considering 5.13's

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes you can damage your tranny by running to little gear. Poor gearing will cause the torque converter to have to slip more to makeup for the lack of gearing. The TC slipping will cause extra heat to build up and heat is bad for a auto tranny even a TH400. Also you will be turning less RPM's at cruising speed and less RPM's means that the pump will be spinning slower and pumping less fluid inside your tranny. This can also help elevate tranny temps and cause an early failure in the tranny.

A large tranny cooler can help offset some of the heat issues that lack of gearing can cause.

Harley

13. 78Suburban

I wish I could find some deals like that. Everytime I hear of dirt cheap used 4x4 stuff, it's already sold. I did know some off roads enthusiasts in high school that were in the loop of hearing about awsome used deals that frequently arose when rednecks were in need of fast cash. Now I never really see those kids that could help me find the deals anymore. I go to colledge and all that is there is tofu fartin' faries :doah: !
    Maybe I can listen out and find some good deals, I think I will try to see if I can find anybody willing to cut me a deal when I go to the next mud race. I don't think there are really any cheap deals over the internet, because shipping costs an arm and a leg and Ebay seems to get new prices for used stuff. I think I will just save my money and bide my time untill I run up on a killer deal, which I'm sure there will be one out there for a lift and tires.
    James