Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rethinking suspension-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Mar 1, 2005.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I was going to put a 6 inch BDS system on my 75 K5. I will be running a locked or spooled 14 bolt and 8 lug 44, open in the front- at least until I can find a D60 for the front. Tires are going to be 35x14.50 Boggers.

Started crunching the numbers and the bank account is coming up somewhat short. So, I am thinking about running six inch BDS up front and doing an ORD 4 inch shakel flip with two inch blocks in the rear to get the six inches in the back- just until I can build up the bank account to buy springs to do this right.

Couple questions- I have found varying statements on here about rather the shackle flip and two inchs in either springs or blocks makes a truck sit level. From those who have done it- should I go with three inch blocks instead of two? What is recommended in this case?

I was also told today that my current two inch lift front springs could be used on the back. The K5 is an hour away so I can't measure- is this correct? Newbie to this - can you tell? :blush:

Thanks for the advice/help.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I doubt that you could use the front lift springs on the rear. Front springs measure roughly 47" and rears are 52"

If you need to save more money on the shackle flip and get it from Sky-Manufacturing. They are cheaper then ORD's kits.

With a shackle flip and a 2" block I don't think you will sit totally level in the back.

Harley

3. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

its not a good idea to run a shackleflip and a block because the way the shackle flip angles the pinion. because a block is not bolted to the spring pack, it could possibly slip out when suspension is extended.

also a block and shackle together cost
    135+60= $195 (almost 200)
    a spring is only about $300. it would make more sense financially to just wait and buy the spring.

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have the 2 inch blocks already and have a line on three inch blocks for $20 bucks.

We do not have a lot of rocks up here- mainly trails/mud. Have not heard of blocks coming out..... something to really consider though. Thanks.

Have not heard about the Sky shackles. Are they quality stuff?

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used the ORD shackle flip and zero rates in the back. 5" lift springs on the front. The Burb sags in the back because the stock springs (3/4 ton) have flattened out. I am going to put 2" lift springs on the back as soon as $ allows.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you really want to save money, swap stock 52" springs in the front and get a sky manufacturing shackle flip for the rear. Cheapest way to get 4" that I can think of.

j

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have seen the 52" spring swapped referred to in here. Is that a bolt in swap or do you have to move the front shackles? Anything special you need to do with this swap as well?

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6" front lift springs, 4" shackle flip and 2" block running backwards in the rear.

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

You lost me on the "running backwards" part- what did you mean by that?

10. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think he means turn the blocks around to compensate for the pinion angle.???? A 52" front swap isn't really bolt and go. Hangers have to be moved and new longer shackles are also needed. Its also recomended that you go crossover steering because of the amount of flex you get.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Blocks are usually tapered. Usually they sit thinner side forward to elevate the pinion up. A shackle flip elevates the pinion by itself so he probably runs the block backward, thick side forward. This would lower the pinion down some to help match driveline angle after the flip.

Harley

12. jekbrown

what he said. There is a full-on write up coming soon from yours truly. It really isn't that hard, and the writeup is being done by a person without cool tools (plasma, torch, air tools etc) so it pretty much shows the average-joe how he can get it done. Stay tuned.

j

13. CyberSniper

On a longbox truck a shackle flip will cause the pinion to point up past the transfer case output (like on my truck). On a K5 it'll point it pretty much right at the output. If you run a tapered 2" lift block backwards it'll bring the pinion down a little bit so it doesn't vibrate as bad.

A 52" front spring swap is interesting. I moved my front spring hanger forward 6.5" and now 56" springs are even too short for the proper shackle angle with the frame shackle mount in the stock location. Time consuming, but easy to do.

14. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, great info! :thumb:

Jekbrown, are you going to post that write up in the tech thread?

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Do you have a welder or a decent collection of fabication tools (or a friend with some?)

You could do some "free" stuff:

1. Hillbilly shackle flip - (Affectionately named for it's creative use of existing parts)...cut an access hole through your existing rear shackle hangers and install the existing shackle through that hole. Plate the top of the hanger to add some strength. That should give you 4" of free lift.

2. Longer Shackles - Add extensions to the stock shackles, you might be able to "cheat out" another inch of lift that way.

Just a couple of thoughts....might help you stretch the budget a little further. Don't forget, with a lift you are going to need longer brakelines, longer shocks, driveshaft mods, and steering correction....so there are still quite a few hidden costs left to deal with.

16. jekbrown

yeah, its about time I contributed something over there. I ain't messin around with this one... lots of pics and nearly a Bellavista-type long and very detailed write up. After reading it, you'll know exactly what tools you'll need (at a minimum), what parts you'll need, and where to get them. I'd like to have the tech be more permanent here on CK5, like in the tech section of the website instead of the tech forum (there could be a link to it there). It seems like some of the tech forum writeups eventually end up with "red x"s for pics eventually. I haven't had a chance to talk to Steve about it yet, we'll see what he says. I think it could cut down some repetitive posts in the garage forum... atleast one 52" spring swap thread comes up every few days.

j

17. CyberSniper

That's the hard part. Finding the bushings for 52" fronts are relatively easy. Basically just buy the kit for a 67-70 4wd front.

Finding the bushings for 56" fronts seems to be a little more difficult. I'm probably going to end up running spacers with OE stock rear bushings so I can get a little flex out of them.

The rest of it is pretty easy. Move the front spring perch wherever you want it and then adjust the rear shackle location and length based on that.

18. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

When do you think you'll have this writeup completed?

The more I read the more I like the looks of a 52" setup but I wouldn't have the foggiest where to start.

19. jekbrown

if I had to bet, I'd guess it will be on the site by the end of March. Crap comes up out of the blue though, so who knows. Do me a favor, if a few weeks go by and you don't see it, nag me about it with a PM or something. ;) :grin: I really do need to get that thing done...

j

20. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

You've got PM :)