Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Retitling after engine swap (Gas to Diesel) information wanted

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jolane, Oct 23, 2005.

1. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of trying to get an M1008 diesel running. The intention would be to swap this engine into my gas Burb. The burb runs great as is, and is completely stock. It does not burn a drop, and is just great. Unfortunately, it will require headers, intake, carb (or EFI), etc to start making some decent power, and will never get great gas mileage.
    In comes the 6.2L. For my needs, I think this would be a perfect engine for me. I am having a hard time finding the laws on how to do this swap legally, so that when it is done, I can get a title change (if that is what happens). I have called our state DOT, who could not help me. "I am sorry but we handle repairing the roads". I called the main MVD and left a message, no return call. I am tired of leaving messages for this lady who never seems to do her job and call back.
    So, can someone shed some light on what I need to do paperwork wise to get this done. I realize that California has inspection stations to go to (caled referee's?). We have emissions check stations for gas, but they were no help either. How is MVD going to verify that I really put a diesel in? How would they know that I did it correctly? There must be something that I will have to do, I just don't know where to find this information. I assume it is regulated by Federal Laws, and just enforced per state.

I am in New Mexico, if that helps.
    Thanks for any and all insight into this matter,
    Joshua

Anyone think it wouldbe reasonable for me to classify my Burb as a custom, or hotrod with non-original engine? Would that be a method of getting the swap done?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I can't help you much if at all on this one. My Jimmy came stock with a 305, but had a 4 bolt main 350 in it when I got it. The E-test people always just wrote it down and tested it as a 305 anyways.

Then I swapped the 6.2 diesel in, and went to get it E-tested. I got in the 'diesel' line up and they tried to wave me out. :crazy:

I finally pulled up and the 'tech' says i have a gas engine...she is having to nearly shout so she can be heard over the diesel clatter. :haha: I then explained I put a diesel engine in it, couldn't she tell just listening to it? She finally admitted it did sound like a diesel and called her supervisor over. He made some notations and told me as soon as it passed emissions i had to get my insurance dude to change the vehicle description from gas to diesel.

That was it...humorous and relatively simple.

Hopefully it'll be as easy for you.

If you have to E-test pm me, I've had my fun and would like to spare you the same fun if I can.

Rene

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Been wondering about this myself for PA. I suppose it would be a wise decision to get some answers before I really start tearing into my donor truck and gutting my K5 from the firewall forward...

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

It varies from state to state. In Missouri, I don't think they could care less, no emission checks or anything. On the title applications for MO, they have a spot that you put down "G" for gas or "D" for diesel. When I had my title on the '81 issued again for financial reasons, I just scribbled out the "G" and wrote in "D".

In fact, the title for my '95 Tahoe says 6 cylinder gas, and it came from the factory as a diesel. As long as the VIN is correct, MO doesn't care about any of the other stuff.

If you don't have emission checks, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Casey

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Judt to give you an idea, my chevys vin says it shoul dbe a 2 wheel drive , 3/4ton, inline 6, auto. as it sits its regiestered as a 4wheel drive, v8 stick. they asked no questions about it at the dmv????

6. wicked6

wicked6 Registered Member

Joshua - Call the DMV. They do "diesel verification" inspections for emissions purposes in Abq. A buddy with a Dodge 2500 / Cummins was required to take it in when he first registered it. Retarded, if ya ask me, but the guy watched him roll in, signed it off as a diesel, & he's been set ever since.. Heck, just move up to Rio Rancho - no emissions up here! LOL