Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

retorque my head bolts???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pilgrim, May 21, 2003.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

So i fixed my passenger side head a while back and i'am wondering if i need to retorque it. The gaskets "say" that they never need to be retorqued. But i found out /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif that my intake and carb needed it. (some of the bolts were only finger tight /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) Maybe some of my issues could be related to the head instead? It couldn't hurt to retorque just to check it, right /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif....

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

You didnt reuse the stock headbolts, right?
    If you used ARP bolts they should be retorqued one time after a few heat cycles because they are designed to stretch.

However since this is a "low" perf 350 you can probably get by without it, as long as you put them on in the right sequence.

BTW intake bolts are famous for coming loose, it is not uncommon for them to be takes out with just your fingers. Do not overtighten them or you will crack your manifold. Head bolts are put on at 70-80ft/lbs, vs 20-30 for manifold bolts, plus the heating and contracting of the heads, block and manifold make them come loose

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

DO NOT RETORQUE, gaskets today are made to seal without any retorque needed. If you do try to retorque them you will chance having the gasket fail on you. As far as torque value goes, SBC head bolt torque is 65 ft. lbs. not 70-80 ft. lbs. like previously mentioned. Intake and carb bolts do however tend to come loose after a period of time. If you have an aluminum intake you need to make sure that you either are using bolts with a washered head or are using washers on the bolts so that the hex of the bolts DO NOT dig into the manifold. Intake bolt torque for cast iron manifolds is 30-35 ft. lbs. while aluminum manifolds is 25 ft. lbs. and not a lb. tighter.

4. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

whew! thanks guys, for the good info... yes i did reuse the old head bolts /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif i hope that won't become an issue /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif... thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

You are not supposed to reuse the old bolts because they are torque to yield design and once the stretch they do not come back again. So basically you have stretched out bolts in right now. When I did my first big block heads I reused the old bolts because I didnt know any better and they are still sealing five years later, but I use ARP bolts on everything now