Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Retread Update

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83DK5, Apr 10, 2000.

1. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

Well sorry took so long. I mounted the tires Yesterday. Actually got them the 30th. exactly seven days after I ordered them. Not bad for UPS ground track. It took me so long because Other problems came up. Namely replaced one set of wheel bearings and repacked the others and put on new front calipers and brake pads. Ya gotta love chevy the parts are so inexpensive.
    Anyway back to the main subject. They arrived on thursday the 30th. Look fine no major deformities and were a matched set ie. they where all of the same original manufacturer and model. Make sure you request this if you order some. Now balancing. Hmmm well I am not sure how much of it was the rims and how much the tire. When I took the weights off the old tires there was quite a bit of weight on them already. about 6 ounces on a couple and an average of 3.5 to 4. These are stock rims. The worst retread balnced with 1 ounce on the outside and 9 on the inside. the other 3 balanced from 4 to 8 ounces total. Not too bad for retreads but I beleive better rims would have helped a lot.
    Comments/ suggestions If you are just driving locally back and forth to work these should be fine. I would suggest if you need a spare order one and balance it on a good rim. If you like the results order some more. I don't think my experience was a fair test with my old beat up rims so really you will have to draw your own conclusions.

Road manners are good so far. The tire with all that weight is on the front too. On the interstate at 70 mph and around town and curvy road. All predictable on road manners for a tire this size. Keep in mind I am no professional and will not be held liable for my personal opinions which all of the above comments are.

Off-road testing will hopofully be conducted this weekend time permitting

Comments or suggestions are always welcome. If you have any experiences with stock rims and bad balancing please let me know.

Thanks

Blazers Rule especially Diesels

2. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Do you get a choice of manufacturer and tread design or is it a you get what you get with our tread design?

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

3. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

Well I can tell you about High-Tec cause that is where I ordered them from. They have two tread designs. All-Terrain and MUD tread. Although with the 33's you only get the MUD tread. 33 is the biggest they currently have. They also have 31x 10.5 and most smaller sizes. I believe most are available in 15 and 16 inch rim sizes. As for the original manufacture of the tire I think it is what they have is what you can get. You may be able to choose which ones you want but you would have to ask them about that.

4. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

Oh yea these are Mud treads so there is a noticable hum on the highway. But I like the humming so hehe