Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Retreads will test

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83DK5, Mar 25, 2000.

1. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

Ok so I am on a severe budget. Bought the Beast for 500 bucks with a bad tranny. Finally got that fixed (TH400) for 70 bucks. Tires are 31x10.5 and are mostly bare. So I ordered 4 33x12.5 from High Tec Retreading http://mallmerchant.com/retreads/
    315.00 smackers which includes shipping and handling and 24,000 2 year warranty. I also am in the military and can get them mounted and balanced for about 6 or 7 dollars a piece at the craft shop.
    Not a bad price but how do they perform. Well that is what I am going to find out.
    So if you have ever seen their add in Four Wheeler and wondered then stay tuned because I will post updates on their performance. Which should be quite a test as I am not that experienced at Off-roading so if they keep me from getting stuck too much that should tell ya something at least. Also if anyone has experience with these tires feel free to post it here. Good or Bad. They should arrive by UPS next week so next weekend I should have a post on how they balanced and first impressions.

That's all for now

Blazers Rule especially Diesels

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't retreads intended mainly for rear tire replacement? I redid my tires on a moving truck I used to own, and my tire guy at the time wouldn't install retreads on the front........said it was unsafe. It had something to do with pressure on the sidewall when you turn a corner. That can cause the actual reapplied tread to separate ffrom the body of the tire..........At least that's what I was told.........

3. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

According to various websites on the subject of retreading the technology has advanced on the bonding process and so they say is as good as new or almost anyway. Also my Dad was a Over the road truck driver for 40 plus years and yes on heavy trucks, ie cargo trucks they do not run retreads on the front Do to the weight and stress involved. This is one thing I will watch closely and any seperation will be reported so you all can know. If you have questions on the current retreading process go to the High tec websight. There is a fairly comprehensive in lay man's terms explantion there.

Thanks for comment

Blazers Rule especially Diesels

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Keep us informed. This is something that those of us who have tight budgets and/or don't get offroad as much as we'd like to can benefit from. I've heard of the retread issues/concerns before, too. As food for thought, about 60% of all aircraft tires (heavy jets, light Cessna-types, and helicopters with tires) are retreads. The inspection criteria used to select the carcasses for retreading ensures that there is a much lower chance of internal failure. Makes you think, doesn't it?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, keep us posted.........new tires are way too expensive as it is, so if retreads will do the trick, I imagine I won't be the only one going that way.