Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

retreads?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Jul 2, 2001.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

Has anybody ever tried running retread tires form High-Tec Retreading, they always advertise in the back of Peterson's 4x4. Their prices seem good, and I'm on a tight budget. Anyways thanks for the help.

If in doubt, gun it.

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

yeah some one recomended not to use re-treads because they can fall apart...but i dunno that is a nice price though

high

3. klier

klier Registered Member

Have you ever went down the Freeway and those slices of tire on the side of the road? They are retreads. It's probably a little safer for a big 53' trailer to lose one, but somehow I don't think it'd be too good of a deal to lose one off of our Blazers! [​IMG]

Glue holds the retread on the tire, and like any glue, eventually it'll dry out and lose it's strength...

I guess personally I would stay away from them...

Brian Klier
    '74 Jimmy/'86 Blazer Hybrid
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject>http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject</A>

4. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Ok I am running these exact retreads. There are a lot of misconceptions about retreads. Did you know that 75%+ of goverment vehicals use retreads, post office, airplanes, ect. The pieces you see on the freeway are from truckers that dont keep their tire pressure maintained and dont properly run their tires. Most over run the tires till they come apart. Heat will destroy a tire, even a new tire. I had a good tire disinigrate while driving back from lake Havasu Arizona, in the middle of the deasert. It must have been 120F. Most truckers drive so long that the tires suffer from extreem heating and then they fail. As long as you are not driving 300 miles a day in H O T weather you should be ok, just maintain your tires well. I only have about 1K on them so far, but I am very happy. They are BFG M/T w/ white lettering. Good tread. I'm looking forward to trail testing them on the 14th. I'll let you all know how they perform. For the price you cant beat them, they come with a 2 year 25000 mile warrenty. at that price you could afford to replace them every 2 years.
    BTW this is my daily driver.
    I paid $67 each 33x12 (this is their largest tire)

BlazingWolf
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BlazingWolf on 07/02/01 10:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Truck tires are made very differently than automobile or "light truck" tires, and perform in a very different environment. Therefore, you really can't compare the two. When truck tires are retreaded, the new tread is basically a treaded rubber strip, cut to length, and bonded to the original carcass. When the drivers don't pay attention to tire pressure or overload the truck, the tire generates enough heat to debond the new tread from the carcass, creating the often-seen "highway snake". The carcass is then eaten up by the road surface.
    When automobile or light truck tires (and airplane tires) are retreaded, they are basically re-molded (new rubber is injected into a mold and vulcanized onto the original carcass). I don't know about High-Tec or any other automotive retreader, but I know BFGoodrich Aerospace inspects all their carcasses (x-ray, visual, ultrasonic) before retreading them. Some airlines prefer retreads because they KNOW the carcass is good.

BTW, I think shaggyk5 has been running a set of the High-Tec retreads for about a year.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

not quite a year, (3500 miles ) but Im lovin them so far. I got the a/t's in the 31" flavor, no probs with the rubber, no probs with tread flex, but they feel a little heavy to me when i move them around by hand. (never weighed them though) pretty sticky on the street or the dirt, so they get the thumbs up from me.

--matt
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    <font color=red>SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!</font color=red>

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A friend of mine has those exact retreads on his '77 C20. He's had them for 6 months of farm service and no problems.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles