Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

retrieve shift deleted files

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Jan 26, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

anyone know how to retrieve files accidently deleted with shift delete?

2. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

You might want to try the search with Windows Explorer. It may be there but then again.. it may give you false hope. It will probably show up and then say that you can't view it because it's been deleted. I dunno try anything I guess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What OS?

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

windows XP
    thanks for the idea i'll search today

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might have to use like Nortons to pull a deleted file or a similar tool like that.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The files are still there, it's just that the first character in the file name has been replaced with a special character that the file system ignores. Check on someplace like www.download.com and you might get lucky and find a freebie tool to recover the files. If not, then Norton Utilities will recapture the data for you, provided that it has not been overwritten since the time it was deleted.

Now, here's the bad news... The more you use your system after a file is deleted, the greater the chance that the file, or parts of it, will be overwritten as the system writes new data to the drive. Once a file is marked as deleted, the system is free to use any of the sectors that contain all or parts of that file. And running a tool like Disk Defrag will almost certainly overwrite the file as it reorders data on the drive. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So if you have that set up to run automagically, turn it off until you recover the lost file.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks guys, re-created the file again, but in the future i will use these tips. Thanks a bunch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif