Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Retro fit parts and mods

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by FLASHLIGHT76, Jul 9, 2002.

1. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

All right so who has some awsome mods to there trucks? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Who has put stuff not intended for a sub on and what did you use? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I know I have found that walking through the hardware store just gives me Idea after idea /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I know you all got something out there worth sharing. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif <font color="blue"> </font color>

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

LOL...I actually sort of have one for this. Went to the auction the other weekend and bought a truck side tool box (wheel well type) and am going to do a little cutting and welding to redo the box to fit on the passenger side in the rear over the wheel well to the rear of the burb to be able to carry some/most of my 4x4 gear (snatch block, tow strap, winch control, chains, etc.). And I'm like you, always looking for great ideas to modify. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. FLASHLIGHT76

Sweet!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I built a bracket and mounted two 35mm ammo cans under my hood. One is permanently mounted and holds my tow chain and the other is straped in and is my tool box. Totally dig your Idea. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What part of oregon you in?

5. FLASHLIGHT76

I live in reedsport about 20 minutes north of coos bay. Where is canaby? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Canby is about 20 min south of Portland...My sister-in-law and her husband live in Coquille.

7. FLASHLIGHT76

Right on. So I guess you'll have to stop by sometime and do some dunin. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I got a buddy who lives in gresham.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Right on. Will have to do that sometime.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Things would be all good if I could find some parts so I could do some upgrading though. LOL

10. FLASHLIGHT76

What are you looking to do? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Its a 75 burb with D44 front and 12 bolt rear with stock 3.08 gears, want to put 4.10's in...want to put on 6" lift...would like to convert the tailgate to barndoors...but the first thing i really wanna do is the gears.

12. FLASHLIGHT76

I hear you there. I'm buying a D44 and a D60 for mine. they have 4:10 and the rear has a auburn posi. 375 bucks, not too bad says I. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif sounds like you need a parts truck. I really like my 6 inch lift. I bought the soft ride springs and they are nice. I went everything pro comp except the springs (super lift) I'm sure you want your gears but I'd recomend swapping axles first. The 12 bolt rears are pron to gear failure, so I've heard. When I do this swap I'll have a 10bt front and a 14sf rear out of my 3/4 ton 8-lug if your interested. they have 3:73's right now. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I love to get ahold of them...how much do you think you'll ask for them...I'm laid-off from work at present, so funds are kinda limited, but I'm sure i could scrap up something.

14. FLASHLIGHT76

I tell you what after I get the other ones on all drop you a line and let you make me an offer. I have good brakes all around which I just rebuilt on the front. So I'll give you a holler when I have them off. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That'll work.

16. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i just finished my ammo can rack. i took some 3/4" angle iron and welded up a tray type thing over the rear wheelwell. it extends from the back door to the gate and holds five 50 cal ammo cans... i love the burb for all its space... i also took out the mid seats and built up a frame level with the floor and put some doors on it.. man that thing is like a black hole...

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the previous owner of my K20 sub welded a battery cage out of 1/2 inch box tubing... the cage holds the battery to the front core support, instead of the side fender, making it nearly impossible to lose a battery should the fender get torn off.

my parts suburban has some 5 inch speakers mounted in the rear AC unit, in the 30 miles of airspace located to the sides of the vents...

I'm going to be making some subwoofer boxes that fit in the rear, between the wheelwells, and the tailgate, and allow for the 3rd row seat to remain in place. I also want to weld some racks in front of that to mount some ammo cans over the wheelwells to hold tools/parts/etc. I'm going to see if I can't weld up a rack to put under the hood to hold things like tow chains, jumper cables, oil/tranny fluid etc...

-Rich

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have all kinds of ideas bouncing around in my head but none have been put into action yet...

how much are ammo cans, big ones? i'm gonna get rid of the whole for the stock spare and make storage space there or a holder for a full sized spare. that'll be hard though considering my next set of tires will be 38s.