Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

retry at startng the engine..........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jul 11, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well, no coolant leaking form the manifold, but there is oil leaking from where the oil filter connects to the block . i just put a new gasket on it too, so i did i overfill on oil? i put in 6 qts. or is the gasket bad? (i didnt put any rtv on it)

also, as i am trying to start it, i am hearing a couple of loud booms. (exhaust is not hooked up), but it scared the [darn] out of me. is that normal?

it hasnt started yet, but i just bought a new battery and its only at 8 amps, so i dont think it has ebough juice.

input please!

thanks

tom

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well, no coolant leaking form the manifold, but there is oil leaking from where the oil filter connects to the block . i just put a new gasket on it too, so i did i overfill on oil? i put in 6 qts. or is the gasket bad? (i didnt put any rtv on it)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the O-ring on the filter? if you are right not to use RTV same with the drain plug, check and make sure they are tight

[ QUOTE ]
    also, as i am trying to start it, i am hearing a couple of loud booms. (exhaust is not hooked up), but it scared the [darn] out of me. is that normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like your timing is off, maybe 180 degrees out if it is popping through the carb try adjusting it some, if that does not do it pull the dizzy and rotate the rotor 180 degrees,and drop it back in

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, it is shooting gas from the carb straight up (once in a while), and it sounds like a swoosh. so turn it 180?

remove distr., rotate crank 180, then reinstall distr.

right?

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

take the hold down bolt out, remove the Dizzy cap,pull the dizzy out of the engine, rotate the rotor 180 degrees, and drop back in to the block, if you turn it 180 you will know because it will drop in with very little help,