Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Return for core, or sell?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kp, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

Well, my crate motor is in the sub, and the old block is out, and waiting to go back for the core charge.
    The only thing is, the engine I took out, is better than the one I put in.
    Cast # is 959(its a 4 bolt), and the heads are #781's.
    From what I've come to understand,(thanks to this site mostly!!), those are pretty desirable #'s for a BBC.
    I guess what I am asking is what do you think its worth?
    The core charge is just under 700 bucks. Do you think I could get more selling outright?
    I guess what I'm asking is whats it worth?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I say get your core money. I think you would be hard pressed to get $700 for a used BB chevy.

Ira

3. 80' 427

80' 427 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is the crank cast or forged? I would say to part it out 250 for the heads 350 or so for the block (maybe more depends where you live) If the crank is cast like 175 but forged more like 250+. Just wore out or major internal problems? I'd keep it but I am personnally trying to own every big block ever made so I don't like to sell anything.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Come up here and buy 4xcrazy's cracked block , swap some stuff around and use it as a core and keep your block :wink1:

5. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

Dunno about the crank.
    I killed it by running it low on oil. Sucks, because it didnt leak or burn any, I just didnt put enough in at my last oil change. I'd never owned a big block before, I went to the Autozone on autopilot. Bought 5 Qts of Castrol just like I have done for all my vehicles. Turns out that 5 qts didnt even wet the dipstick on this big block. Expensive lesson learned.
    Anyway, it started knocking about 2 days later. Still ran, but once it started making noise, I didnt drive it anymore. When I dropped the pan, I found some chunks of metal, and a few ounces of very fine metallic dust. Pretty much just what you'd expect.
    I have been toying with the idea of keeping it and making it a 496 stroker project. But my wife used all kinds of unfair tricks, (like logic and reason), to make me remember that we could use the $, and that I have no place to undertake a project like that.

6. 80' 427

That always sucks. My wife pulls those tricks all the time. Recently my wife said no to my idea to buy a new car trailer (really bitchen with a 20' bed w/ a 2 foot beaver tail and removable fenders and the 10K lb package) It was only 1350 so instead we bought a 3500 monte so she won't put so many miles on our new 06 crew (29k since May or 06).

7. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

For some reason mine doesnt see how cool it would be to have a hot bigblock sitting around, waiting for me to find another junk truck to put it in.
    Wives just dont have a sense of coolness sometimes.........
    She wants to spend the core money on new flooring.

8. 80' 427

I got a little money from my mother passing so don't think I am rich. We are putting a new roof on the house and I paid off MOST of our debts. So I rewarded myself by finishing my 80 z28 with a 427 bbc and a 4 speed. I am planning to go to Hot Rods drag week this year with the camaro because that is what I built it for. Last fall my buddy asked me to go to moab. I told him no then because of how they screwed me on funeral leave but we worked it out now I have the vac to go. She is pissed more because she has to work and would rather go on a cruise then see me go to Moab. I decide life is short. My mom died at 50 so I am going to see and do what I want before they push me in the dirt. Next year speed week at bonniville then the peterson museam and el marage. I am a super gear head and other than nascar and the other roundy round racing I want to see it. She doesn't think much of my camaro either but she has her toys so she should let me have mine.