Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reusing pistons?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I was wondering about just reringing an engine. How much scuffing on the pisto skirts is acceptable before it is neccessary t replace them as well.

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

my pistons looked like new on the skirt so I reused them. after honing the rings gapped out on the extreme outer limits. ran it anyway. takes a quart a month. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif next project is already in the shop waiting for me to get a piston kit...

I was on a budget first time around (and didn't want to buy pistons. I though I was saving money. most of the time the pistons are alright but the bores are worn out (like mine). dont try to save a buck here or you will wind up like me - doin it twice.

3. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Have your machine shop measure and advise you. No good machine shop would want you ending up with a motor that doesn't work properly - after all you'll be telling your friends.
    I've run new rings on old pistons with no problems (small blocks and big blocks) - I've also bored blocks and run new pistons all on the advice of various machine shops.
    good luck

4. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I am going to take it to the machine shop to get the block cleaned and bores checked out. Suposedly it wa rebuilt a few thousand miles ago but I have to get a new crank due to a problem with the balancer stripping out the keyway. Anyway, I was just gonna change the crank but decided to check out the pistons (keith black silvolites) as well, which had some scraping on the skirts . I guess I am just trying to save some cash but I am probably just gonna bite the bullet and build a 383 out of it. Thanks for the advice guys!