Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reusing rear Ubolt??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Jimmy, May 30, 2005.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm going to take the wedges out of my rear to rotate my pinion down a bit...this should make the driveshaft angles match a little better. Right now I have more angle at the TC, and less at the pinion.

I've read occasionally about reusing U bolts....that it's not a good idea, etc. Does this apply to just the front or what.

I'm chasing a gremlin vibe that comes in at 60mph, and goes away at 70mph...it's not bad, just annoying. It is Not the tires (BFG AT's 33" on stock Rally's, or 33" MT on 10" Rally's)

Fresh rebuild on the 241, fresh rebuild on the stock style slip yoke driveshaft. 3" Skyjacker lift, checked out the 12B pinion bearing, etc. and found no mechanical issues. That leaves the DS angle....hence the U bolt question.

I don't need or want a $600 cv style.

Thanks

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I re-used mine, but they were only two months old. What are your angles? I just put in some 5* shims to get rid of my vibration.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i hade bad luck with used ones and thay were less than 2 months old. my 60 frt almost came out of the truck. not fun at all. and not worth your safty on the trail or roads.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No issues using the old U bolts but make sure you install new nylock nuts or some other kind of locking nut so they don't back loose on you. :thumb: