Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reversal Shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MR.4x4, Aug 13, 2002.

1. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Hi, i dont understand how the Reversal Shackles Work.

Can someone Explain to me the purpouse of them?? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Thanks for your help

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Are you talking about a shackle reversal or a shackle flip? </font color>

3. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Thanks Shagy, Know im Confused je je.

Can someone Explain me the shackle reversal and the shackle flip??

Thanks!!!

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    BUDDY,Do a search on this subject....this has been covered numerous times.If you still have Q's,I'd be happy to help you out.Mike

5. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Can you give me a Breef explanation??

I learn Fast!!!

Thanks

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Quickly....it is simply reversing the shackle to hang below the spring hanger.Several ways of doing it.The advantages are flexier stock springs(less arch than lifted springs),lo cost(free to $180) and you can run longer springs(even more flex).Oh and your ride stays about the same or better.Much better than blocks(axle wrap) and lifted springs(harsher ride).Need more info??Mike

7. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Thanks Mike.

The Reverersing Shackles allowed you to run
    longer Springs.

And runing longer Springs Allowed to have more flex
    /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

But the dont give any lift do they??

Thanks again!!!!

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

By replacing the rear spring mounts,you can place them farther rearward to run longer springs.The lift you obtain is about 3-5".You can buy a shackle mount(thru ORD and others),or you can obtain a rear spring mount from the front of the rear springed Chevy truck,or you can cut out the bottom of your existing hanger.What kind of wheelin' are you planning on doing?Mike....E-mail me and I'd be glad to give you more info.(click on my profile to find my address).

9. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Thanks a Lot, but what i dont understand its Why Adding a longer springs they lift me 3-4 ´´??

And this can be done on the front???
    Thanks again!!

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Adding the longer spring does not lift the truck,it's the shackle reversal that lifts the truck.I'll e-mail you.Mike

11. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

OK.I would e-mail you but I don't have your address.Fill out your profile(click on "my home"at the top of the screen).Mike

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, clarification here - what Bluesman is talking about is actually a shackle flip. The shackle reversal is something that Jeepers do to move the shackles on their front springs to the rear of the spring instead of the front. Doesn't really apply to Chevys, but if you ever say shackle reversal to a Jeeper (Sami's too I think, and some others), then that's what they'll think you are talking about. </font color>

13. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ya got one bubba, reel him in /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

shackle flip-gives you pretty much 4 inches, til you put yer top on, then its 3, lol, and allows for some better flex as the spring shackle can move better front to rear.

longer springs-odd [censored] we think up to get more flex and it works good. we'd tie a deer to the hood if it helped us flex /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Thanks Every one, but know i understand that the Shackle reversal its only a comun Shackle, i dont understand why to reverse the Shackle. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> On some 4x4s (I'll use Jeep as the example), the shackles for the springs for the front axle are on the front of the spring, under the bumper, and the spring is just bolted to a hanger on the rear mount. Basically backwards from a GM. There are different schools of thought on how this causes the axle to work when lifted springs are used (stock Jeep springs are flat, so when they compress they go into negative arch, so what I'm about to describe only applies to postive arched lift springs), but essentially what it causes is that when the spring compresses, the axle travels forward instead of backwards, since as the spring elongates it stretches out towards the front. Some people think that this helps force the tires into obstacles and get better traction, but others say that it just causes the ride to get really stiff when the terrain is rough. To some extent, both schools are correct, but the majority of people prefer to have the shackle on the rear of the spring when positively arched springs are used. Not that any of this applies to GMs, but knowledge is always good, I suppose... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

16. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Thanks a Lot Evan, That info Had help Very Much!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

look at a jeep, then look at your blazer. Think of a rock directly in front of the shackle, doesn't really slide on the rock, the rock will push on the shackle and thats not good /forums/images/icons/frown.gif , also when the spring compresses it pushes the shackel forward into stuff also. so if you move the shackle to the rear you don't have that problem.

18. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Doing Reversal Shackles Eliminates the problem of the Shackle hitting the body, am i right??

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> No, that has nothing to do with it. It just affects the shackle dragging on obstacles, and the perfomance issues that I outlined in my previous post. </font color>

20. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif