Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reverse Flip Shackles

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BrentNClemson, Oct 23, 2002.

1. BrentNClemson

BrentNClemson Registered Member

I've got a 6" susp and 3" body lift. My front tires are rubbing...well....tearing apart the metal... Would it be possible to put the ORD shackle flips in the rear, leave the blocks, and get a 4" shackle for the front?? If so, whoa makes one for the front? I'd like to avoid getting all new springs...but I don't want it to be too crappy. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    -Brent

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You realize that in order to get 4" of lift in the front out a of a shackle, they'd have to be 8" longer than the ones that are there now? It won't work, for many many reasons. You can get a max of about 1.5" of lift out of a shackle in the front (3" longer), more than that and you'll have problems. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What size tires are you running that 9" of lift won't clear them? Sounds like you may need to do a bit of fender trimming...</font color>

3. BrentNClemson

Well I was referring to the ORD reverse flip shackles, which claim a 4" lift using the same springs. I've got 39.5" TSL's and the other day they bent back the fender pretty good and took a chunk out of the tire. I'm just lookin for a way to get a little more lift. I dunno, ORD says you can get either 2.5 or 4 inches, so maybe I could do the 2.5".

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and get a 4" shackle for the front

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> That part must have thrown me... </font color>

5. BrentNClemson

Oh okay sorry about that. So in order to get 4" in the front the shackle has to be 8"? Hmm...well that won't work. Thanks for the info.
    -Brent

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The shackle has to be 8" LONGER than it was; since you're only lifting one end of the spring it has to go twice as far as you want to lift the axle, since the axle is in the middle of the spring. Yeah, it won't work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what part of the metal are you tearing up? i have 39.5's with about 6" of lift and i am fine...

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Joel (The General) was running 39.5X18 boggers with a 6 and 3 lift and he hit his front fenders too. His fenders were only cut back to the inner with the inner uncut. He took a outside lug off as well. Cutting the fenders back more and taking out most of the inner should work.
    OPS hit the wrong reply button /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

right, but this guy is running TSL's that are 15" instead of 18.5" wide

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You can do the flip in the rear, but for the front you'll need a new spring to get that kind of lift from it.
    Sounds to me like time for the sawsall. You can tell that's the consensus from the rest of this crowd also. Some are more saw happy than others but we all make the truck work then put the tire size we want under it. If the sheet metal has to leave to fit the tires, off it comes. I'd look into that method before more lift since details like driveshaft angles can get really hard to deal with as you go higher.