Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reverse light activation with manual..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Apr 23, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I just swapped my 700r4 for a sm465 in my 87. I am curious about the reverse lights. the plug that went into the top of the 700 is that the backup light switch? Do I just plug that into the 465 and call it a day? Right now my reverse lights do not work. Can someone tell me how to get them going again? Thanks. Andy

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

The reverse light switch is a ) shaped switch on the top of your steering column with 2 wires. (purple and green maybe if i remember right?) The 465 trucks have another harness that takes those wires to the plug on the top of the 465.

3. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

mtrdrms- Sorry to highjack, but I am about to do the same swap in my '87. I found a good 465 w/ NP205. How bad was it? I have never pulled a tranny and was wondering what all I need. Again, I know nothing about this and I have no clue about bellhousings, etc. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

4. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Where do I get this harness - from Chevrolet? Or a doner truck?

5. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I would suggest parts rig that had the 465 to begin with becuase of all the tidbits that you need. FOr instance, the bracket that holds the clutch pedal adn brake pedal and the clutch, bell house, flywheel, slave, master cylinder adn reservoir. Oh and the harness that connects the reverse light switch to the 465 :mad: other than that let me know what your questions are and I will try to help you through it man - Good luck

6. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

mtrdrms

Thanks for the info. Keep yall posted.