Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reverse lights, auto to manual

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by irishraptor87, Dec 16, 2006.

1. irishraptor87

irishraptor87 1/2 ton status

i just got my new k30, but since it is coming from out of state it has to pass the CT inspection

it was originally an auto, but was turned into a manual, the reverse lights are still hooked up to the the auto column shifter, i can roll it to reverse and they will come on, for the inspection, as far as i know, when i stick it in reverse, they have to come on and i dont think i can just roll the column to trick them. i know that there a switch plug on the tranny for these lights, but havent been able to find it

would i be able to get a pic to see better where this plug is, what kind of plug is it, were can i get a new plug for it? and what is the best way of rewiring it to work properly without fudging up all the other lights which work like a charm

thanks guys

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it's right near where the shifter goes into the tranny. don't have any shots of it tho. can you put reverse lights on a switch? that's what i'm goign to do since i did the swap.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the yellow circle is where the swtich is located (don't have a pic of the other side of the tranny but its on the top coming in from the side.

as for the wiring, the factory used a pig tail that pluged into the tranny ran threw the firewall and plugs into the harness using the same plug as the auto column.

reverse switch.JPG

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As said, it's plug and play if you get the right 465 connector. Later trannies ('85+) use a weatherpack, earlier is a plastic plug.

5. irishraptor87

irishraptor87 1/2 ton status

yep, found it today, made myself a plug, ran it to the cab thru the firewall

found the reverse light wires going to the steering column, shorted them and didnt realize it, sat there for 20 mins, then realized i should prolly check the fuse, replaced it, wired it, and it worked like a charm

thanks guys

and on a second not about CT out of state inspections, do you think an aftermarket horn hooked up to a push button off to the side and not in the steering wheel would work?

thanks!