Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reverse lights don't work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noho blazen, Jan 11, 2007.

1. noho blazen

noho blazen Registered Member

bought a new truck the other day a 73 chevy k20 350/sm465/np205 and it looks like the truck was a auto trans at one point and i can not figure out how to get the reverse lights to work

2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Hook it up to a switch just remember to flip it when in revearse.:D

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Hmmm....

My reverse lights don't work either, they just stopped working on day:confused: , replaced the bulbs even they didn't look bad and still don't work:doah:

Don't know what it is, but also haven't really troubleshot it either:whistle:

This is on my 86:usaflag: :k5:

4. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Mine just take forever to turn on, sometimes I can have it in reverse for 5 minutes before they kick on. It's crazy.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

did ya check??..

The back-up light switch is built into the neutral safety switch on automatics--its right above the steering cloum..the blue,and light and dark green wires run the back up lights,the purple wires go to the starter solenoid..see if you get 12V at the green wires with the key "ON" and the shifter in reverse--if not,a fuse is blown or a wire is bad,etc..(now that I think about it--those green ones might be ground wires??

On manual tranny's,the switch sucks to get at--its on the tranny to the right of the shifter,and has two wires..it grounds the wires when shifted into reverse,and lights the bulbs up..

For the record,my truck is getting a manual back up light "override" switch,so I can leave them on while plowing..makes it easier to see,and BE seen in!..many of my trucks only had a manual back up light switch--I couldn't get my neutral safety to work AND have back up lights after putting a 3" body lift in one truck,so I just plugged the green wires onto a toggle switch instead..:crazy:

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

mine sometimes work sometimes it doesm't... I have to wiggle the shifter up and down well it's in R then the light will go on lol... and its a auto.....

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The reverse light switch wiring harness you can change auto to manual without cutting anything. You just need to find someone selling the right harness.

If the trans is '85 or newer it will use a weatherpack plug on the trans, if older it's a rubber connector.