Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reverse Lights Wiring / Relay Help ---Please help---

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 2, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am working on wiring in some reverse lights. I have a dual position switch. Here is what I want:
    UP-reverse lights on no matter what
    MIDDLE- OFF
    DOWN- reverse lights on only if truck is in reverse

What is the best way to do this? Is there anyway to use 1 relay like not a normal one? Thanks!

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

First off you will not need a relay to do this since backup lights do not pull very many amps. If I understand right you just want the ability to turn the backup lights on and leave them on under certain conditions. If this is so all you need is a standard single pole switch. Tee into the hot wire going to the backup light switch at the base of the column and Tee into the wire going to the backup lights on the other side of the backup switch.Connect both wires to the switch and that should do it. The rocker switch will override the backup switch when turned on and will return it to normal when off.

Hope this helps.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have most of that project done.
    my truck is manual tranny with earlyish wiring so yours may differ.
    there is a green wire pair with one light and one dark that comes through the firewall into the dash area.
    this is the reverse light trigger harness.
    the 3 pole switch should be set up so that it has a fused power source to the up pole(which is most likely the lower)
    and the down position should have the 'after the tranny switch' wire to it.
    I would use the centre pole to split to the factory rev wiring and a new wire to my relay to trigger my add-on lights.
    I am going further with under cab floods in that circuit as well.

the fused power source has a choice in it.
    full time or switched power
    full time you are gaurenteed to eventually drain a battery by inadvertantly leaving it on. add a bright red indicator in the gauge cluster to remind you the aux are on will save you a 'white light emitting from rear' ticket and will annoy you offroad when you are needing the lights.

the reverse lights should be set up IMO to point almost straight at the ground behind the vehicle as there is no need to see 100 feet behind you when backing.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am not wanting to turn on the factory lights, I want to turn on some aux lights on my rear bumper, so I know I need to use a relay. Could you go into a little more detail. Thanks!

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

How big are the extra lights you plan on installing? I have 2 50 watt floodlights and they do fine with no relay at all, I ran a hot wire off the fuse block into a toggle switch and straight to the lights. Why not just have the floodlights on a switch by themselves and not worry about the backup lights being on at the same time if you are not in reverse.

Just trying to save you some wiring hastle... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Auxiliary Back-up Lights

I have a similar project in mind. I'm wanting to add back-up lights at the rear of my 6x12 utility trailer that will come on with the vehicle back-up lights. I bought a matched 5-wire trailer harness connector set but am concerned about overloading the stock Blazer wireing. Would a set of 55w driving lights be to much. I need the lights when I'm having to back the trailer up a 100 ft driveway at night.

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a pair of 55W lights as backups or switched lights on my K5. Haven't had any problems and will do the same on the crewcab.:D Shouldn't be a problem on a trailer other than the harness configuration.