Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reverse Lights with SM465 Setup.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Been a good year or so since I made the manual conversion to SM465. Originally I didn't bother with hooking up the backup lights, but now after redoing all my electrical, I'm looking at getting them setup.

Does anyone know how the wiring scheme is for the reverse lights and the sm465? I have 2 sensors on the sm465
    1: reverse sensor
    2: Nuetral Safety Switch

Which one is which? Also I would just need to know how to wire up the reverse light circuit. As always, I appreciate any help offered. Thanks..

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Me too! Me too! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks all!

-Dan

3. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Hi Fellas, Yeah I did the conversion also. I haven't gotten the reverse lights to work yet either but heres what I know: On the automatic there is switch toward the firewall on the steering column that is the reverse lights and neutral safety switch for the auto(If you haven't found it yet). Hooked to that switch is the purple/purple-white wires for the Neutral safety, and the Dark green/light green for the Reverse lights. I connected the Purple wires together to override the Neutral safety. I haven't hooked up the reverse lights yet. I found on the NP203 a connection that when 4 wheel drive is engaged it activates a light on the dash that says 4 wheel drive. When I hooked this connection to the SM465 it also activated the light on the dash. I'm trying to figure out how that connection can activate the reverse lights. I think a switch goes in there somewhere. Hope this helps and let me know if you figure anything out. I'm trying to get my scanner working to send a pic of the schematic.

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well my K5 came stock with the SM465, there is no neutral safty switch on mine. The reverse switch on mine is on the drivers side of the tranny towards the top. The positive wire is the only part that is switched, the lights are already grounded. If you are talking about wire colors, I dont have a clue.

Depdog

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

there is a momentary switch DS on the top cover that the dk grn/lt grn wire pair plugs into.
    I may have a spare harness to take photos of, I do have the extra tranny out n accessable right now...

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

When I switched from a auto to a 465 I hooked the wires to a toggle switch for the light. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Where do The wires that plug into the top of the transcover go? It seems like they would just go into the wiring harness. I plugged a harness into the tranny and connected to the Green wires but the lights didn't work. However I didnt really work it much. I need to go and play with different connections.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I would assume they would go the same place as the auto harness, lemme go see what I have for harnesses, or would a look at the in truck be better?
    I have the diagrams here online for most applicable years

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the manual tranny applications have a harness that runs from the tranny through the firewall to the harness where it plugs into the same location that the auto BU lmp switch
    follow pin # 75 and 24 in the diagram. Haynes incorrectly labels the colours as dk blu/lt grn
    74 is the power tap off the flasher post on the fuse panel
    24 goes right back out the firewall in the rear light harness to the BU lamps
    is your fuse in good shape?

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I recently had my tranny switch fail, the plastic has disentigrated from oil exposure.
    you will have to one by one test things until you find the dead part, old vehicles can surprize you

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If thats a neutral safety switch on the 465 in my garage, then its the one that angles out of the case. One wire. The reverse one is two wires, facing the drivers side of the truck as installed. Early models use two spade terminals, one vertical one horizontal, in a round plug.

Later 465's use weatherpack connectors (my '85 for instance) which are ten times better than the earlier plug setup. In my truck, with no removable tranny tunnel, if the reverse wires come off, it is *almost* impossible to put the plug back in. The weatherpack setup should eliminate that problem.

12. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I found where to plug it into the tranny. What I was wondering if there was a switch like the auto had. The auto switch was actualy(as I remember) activated by a lever. When you shifted into reverse it flipped the reverse light/neutral safety switch. I figured there was some kind of reverse light switch that showed in the schematic I have

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the switch is in the tranny
    when the rev rail slides into gear it closes the contacts

14. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Okay I get it now. I have a harness I plugged into the tranny. It is a white and black wire. How would you recomend hooking them to the reverse lights?
    Thanks

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hook them to the wires that went to the auto switch

16. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

on my truck with the stock 465 setup the reverse lights never worked. so finally i bought some aux lights
    and mounted them for reverse lights. bought a new reverse light switch at carquest and installed in in the
    tranny right were depdog described. then i got power from the fuse box (power with ignition on) and ran that to the switch and then ran a wire from the other male connector on the reverse switch to the aux lights to the rear. so now when i put it in reverse the lights get power....hope this helps someone this i how fixed my problem (because the wiring on my truck is really screwed up so i just rewired it my self)

17. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I re-wired my '73, all I did was run switched power (that is power that is only there when the key is on..) from the fuse box to one terminal of the two terminal plug on the tranmission (there is no neutral safty on mine), run the other terminal to the lights. The lights are already grounded. In a factory setup it may not be obvious, like the second terminal might go back up underneath the dash...but the logic is the same, the two terminal plug on your transmission is the switch, run power to it and connect the other side to your accessory and your all set..

BlazerMan

18. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Okay that makes sense. The harness I am using to plug into the tranny has one white and one black. I hooked up the white and grounded the black. Thanks, I'll try some new ideas tonight.