Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reverse manual valve bodies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Feb 8, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looking for a reverse manual valve body for my TH400. I have read somewhere that alot of them DON'T have compression braking. Anyone know which ones do or don't? I have found Houghs and TCIs and Art Carrs and none really list it.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine only has compression braking in 3rd, which is essentially pointless. I wish I could remember the brand so that you could strike it off the list, but since I trusted the builder, I just told him to put it together. It's working flawlessly so far.

3. MNorby

do you notice not having it or is it definately worth the extra for it? I am thinking ante up for it

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

My ArtCar has full compresion braking in all gears. i will try to find the part number for you

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

When I'm at home, it doesn't bother me, but up here in the mountains, I would like to have it so I can keep a lot of unneccessary wear off my brakes.

It is nice to be able to throw it up in second or first and not have it throw you in the dash though.

I will warn you though. If your shift kit is anything like mine, going from 1-2 or 2-3 WILL be quite a jolt. It makes my entire truck jump and buck if I don't back off the accelerator.

And two more benefits......NO DETENT CABLE!........NO VACCUUM LINE!

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to hi-jack but I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What is compression braking? Is it just using the trans to slow the truck? I'd guess I'd better do some research before I go looking :doah:

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

IIRC ArtCar model 14006

8. MNorby

do you remember about what it cost ya?

Compression braking is basically coming down a hill and dropping a gear and the engine slowing you down. W/O you are basically free-wheeling.

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

Yes. It is hydraulic pressure in the transmission being placed on the engine, which is essentially being used as an air compressor, which slows the truck down.

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info on that---hijack over:D

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I bought my full manual valve body from these guys, good guys too, shipped quickly and answered all my questions very quickly. I havent had any problems with it yet and it was much cheaper than an art carr. It does have compression braking and the install was very easy. Came with everything you need to do the whole installation. All the valve bodies with compression braking are very expensive as compared to the ones without.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-TH400-OFFROAD-FULL-MANUAL-VALVE-BODY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQitemZ8035754320

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Check with MiniWally....I'm pretty sure he's got the compression braking setup (1st and 2nd) IIRC.

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that mine is compression braking in all gears too.

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC this was discussed on Pirate and the only vb's for the TH400 that have compression braking in ALL gears are the Art Carr piece and the one in the e-bay link above.

15. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a TCI valve body in my TH350 that does have full compression braking in 1 and 2 and maybe 3rd. I don't know about 3rd because I rarly use 3rd gear in situations where I need it to compression brake.

Full Manual valve bodies are not for everyday use in my opinion. They are the greatest thing since sliced bread offroad but you have to drive them correctly.

Remember that they run full line pressure on every shift up or down. I have almost put myself through the windsheild hole several times on a downshift with the doubler in both low gears.

16. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yeah no kidding, its easy to forget what your driving sometimes and end up smirring your nose on the window. However, it is alot more difficult to find the full manual compression braking valve bodies for a th400 as compared to the 350. I dont know about the TCI one having braking in 1st and 2nd for a 400, but I do know when i was calling around there were not many places had compression braking in all gears, and it does seem to me that TCI did not have braking in 1st and 2nd for the th400. This might not be the case, but thats what I remember.

17. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

holy old thread batman!

this seems very usefull thought, MiniWally, when you said they arent made for everyday use, was it because of the compression braking? or just they way it will shift, and when you say you have drive them correctly, how so?

18. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am not a tranny guru at all. My opinion is just that. I have limited knowledge as to the internal workings of a tranny.

The reason I say they are not for everyday use is that the tranny runs full pressures all of the time so it is really a shift thing. There is no problem with shifting up but the down shifts are so harsh you have to be going very slow to not have a shift be so harsh that it wants to put you through the windsheild. I think they shift so hard you are putting undue stress on everything in the drivetrain every shift.
    I have broken the tires on the buggy loose on asphalt in two wheel drive on down shifts before. It hits that hard.

To correctly shift them up is easy just move the gear shift, to shift down you have to be going slower than you think to make a nice smoth transition from the higher gear down to the lower gear.

There is no "down fall" to the reerse manual valve body as long as it has compression braking in the lower gears. I just think they shorten the life span of the drivetrain with how they operate.

With my buggy it's not a big deal since it gets torn down every few years for routine work anyway.