Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reverse rotation d60 crrier the same as a standard rotation?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jan 27, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I am looking at buying a detroit from a reverse rotation ford d60.
    Is there any difference in carriers that I need to be aware of?
    -- Mike

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

All high pinions used the 4.10 case so yes thay are interchangable if your using the right ratio

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Are you trying to use ford carrier in GM housing? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Look fo Its finally done-- my massive dana60 article.last posted 1-26-03 in garage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Isn't the term "reverse rotation" a misnomer???

I thought some were "reverse cut" but they all rotated the same way.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe I'm thinking that some run against the "drive" side of the ring gear and some on the "coast" side???

.....man, there's still SO much for me to learn!

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I think you are right bout cut verses rotation.The reverse cut pinion runs on upper side of axle center line,while reg cut runs below center line and both axles have to turn the same direction. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Acording to chart in mentioned article,the carrier should work if your gears are 4.10s.Carrier #s don't list cut as different,just gears.Best article on 60s I ever seen.Need to copy it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

From my understanding there is no difference between a reverse and standard rotation carrier. The ring and pinion and housing is what makes the difference between reverse and standard rotation.

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

The pinion runs on the same side of the carrier in both types.Reverse cut run above center line of axle,others run below the center line.Rev Cut is supposed to be stronger in fronts cause puts power on load side of gear.Reg cuts in front put power to coast side of gears. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

This might make sound better.Rev cut gear pulls pinion into ring when power is applied.Reg cut pressure pushes pinion away from ring gear. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Reverse cut and reverse rotation are both terms that have been used (even by myself) but they are both wrong. The corect term is High pinion. And yes they are designed for front applications only. I personally run one in the rear of my Heep and have no problems but it is true that because of the tooth design that it isn't as strong and a low pinion D60.

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

They're supposed to be stronger in front,a little weaker in rear.In light vehicle it's plenty strong in rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I've decided to skip the detroit and save up for a lock right. Right around $300, or the same price as my rear detroit was. No clutches and it's a drop-in? Sign me up.
    -- Mike

13. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Is detroit still available?I want one in my truck.HiPin D60 SFA under 88SWB.How much? Mabey I can afford it.Thinking bout welding it and getting OX Locker later. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer on 38s in TENN. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif