Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reverse rotation water pump for a 96 350?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jun 21, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Hey fellas-

Wondering if someone can give me the low down on this reverse rotation water pump deal for a 1996 350 Vortec. What application do I buy for when I go to the parts store? I am taking the 96 block and heads, and putting all the junk off my stock 89 350 from the Burb back onto the 96. What do I need?

Sorry if that wasn't a real clear question... I have been driving ALL DAY today, and just got home and finished unloading the van. Glad thats DONE and over with. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A '96 pickup, Tahoe or Suburban with the 350 should have the right pump for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

get one that will match the accesories that you are running. I run a 97 vortec block and heads but everything else is 85 including the waterpump. I think the serpintine belt set up is the only one that used the reverse flow pump due to the belt routing

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Like just said, you only need a reverse rotation water pump if you are going to be using the 96' accessory drive. Which isnt a bad idea, you will only have to carry one belt with you on the trail for emergencies, and it shouldnt slip when wet and will auto adjust for you. If you dont have all the brackets for the 96' or just dont want to use them for some reason, use everything off your burb, brackets, belts, and accesories.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that the '89 'burb that he's swapping this engine into also had a factory reverse rotation water pump. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The pump rotation is matched to the accessory drive. If it uses a single serpentine belt with a tensioner, its reverse rotation. If it uses v-belts only, or a combination V-belt and manually tensioned serpentine, then its conventional rotation.

My '91 had a conventional rotation pump - it did not use a belt tensioner.

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

good call harry /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

Looks like I just need to keep the 89 water pump, and put it back on with all the other original accessories and call it a day. I have the 96 water pump... but its not going to work for me since it will not accept the pulley that came off the old setup...

I've always heard that if the water pump pulley is powered by the flat side of the serpintine belt, its reverse rotation, and if its powered by the peaks and valley side of the belt its standard rotation. Sound about right? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've always heard that if the water pump pulley is powered by the flat side of the serpintine belt, its reverse rotation, and if its powered by the peaks and valley side of the belt its standard rotation. Sound about right? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, anything that is driven off the back side of the belt is gonna turn backward.

10. KRAZIE87K5

Thanks Tim! Just wanted to be sure I was thinking straight!!!

-Dan