Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reverse slip yoke on 205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Aug 16, 2000.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

hey all, i have an 80 k5 im gonna use the t case from, a 205. it has a female splined yoke attached to the drive shaft which slips into the t case, which has an oil seal. this concerns me. is that oil seal really going to keep the oil in when im off camber? and will this setup hinder me when im fully flexed? ive seen other 205s with a fixed yoke(which had straps for a u joint) would this be a way to go?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I never saw a 205 with a slip yoke and have never heard of one before. Are you sure it is a 205?

I know that in 80 they only offered the 205, but the slip yoke thing is weird.

Can you post pics?

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got the 205 with the fixed yoke. The main reason I put it in was that if I ever grenaded a rear driveshaft I could remove the leftovers and limp it in front wheel drive without puking all the T-case oil. [​IMG] The slip yoke style will not leak even if you are flexed out or off camber but as soon as you remove the driveshaft you will lose the oil in the T-case.

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My '80 Jimmy has a slip yoke, I think all the '80's did. I haven't had any problem with leaks since I changed out the seal about 3 yrs ago. Like Rene said you will lose gear oil if you drive with the rear shaft out. I taped plastic cup over the tailshaft when I blew my rearend. That was more to dirt out than oil in, but it did work. Tip: If you need to do this wrap the tape around the spedo output so the cup will stay on. Jim, 80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

All 1980 205 t-cases came with this. I got my 205 from a 80 GMC 3/4 which had the same thing. I've had no problems with it leaking and I've had my K5 on a 25 degree ramp scoring almost 1000 and again no problems. I'll soon be converting to a fixed yoke only because you can remove the shaft and still drive it plus it gives more distance to the axle which helps the driveline angle.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Slip yoke 205, eh? Man, ya learn something new everyday! :)

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com