Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

reverse slipping?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 30, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

when i put in reverse sometimes,and hit the gas (not even that hard) it feels and sounds like its slipping...possible?...should i plan on a rebuild or just wait till it goes?

2. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

rebuild time man mine did that same exact thing then 2 days later done 700r4 there great when there in good health.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

the first th400 I killed did that for 2 or 3 days, then no reverse and no third.

4. NEK5

it actually seems like i have to hit the gas kindof hard for it to do it...it still shouldnt right?

5. NEK5

how much am i looking to spend on a rebuild and would it be worth finding a place that will do a heavy duty rebuild or should i just take it to get a regular rebuild done?

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Rebuild it and get a shift kit put in.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sad news...

Every Th350 tranny I had that fried lost reverse first..and it was a rather sudden failure once reverse started slipping..the other automatics are probably similar,many lose reverse before forward gears..except the 700R4,they seem to just start shifting goofy and hunting for gears,lock in one gear,or go out with a bang..

If you get a kit ,they run about 150 bucks..having a shop do it can cost thousands if you dont "know" someone..some guys do it for 350 bucks or so...if your ambitious they have VHS videos of how to do it,step by step..

I've never been that brave myself--I've taken a few automatics apart,but I doubt I could rebuild one,and have it work right--(at least the first time!)....it takes a few special tools,and patience,time,and a clean place to do it..it MUST be dust free!..I usually get a used tranny from a boneyard and pray for the best..have had good luck so far...:crazy:

8. NEK5

is it worth trying to put it in yourself?? i might be able to pick up a 700r4 with like 20000 miles on it from NH....how much do you think the tranny shop would charge to put the shift kit in and put it in?

9. diesel4me

depends...

It will hinge mostly on who does it,how well you know him,etc..I can have one done for 25-50 bucks,if the guys I knew are still doing tranny repairs..but they wont gaurantee anything they put a shift kit in, if the tranny is a boneyard special...they reccomend doing it all at once..raising the line pressue on a well used tranny can finish it off in short order.....

Shift kits are not impossible to install yourself,but its a LOT easier if the tranny is out,and upside down on a bench---( I sucessfully did a few that way)....putting those rubber check valves in the valve body is a bitch lying on your back under the truck with ATF dripping in your eyes..and you MUST get them in exactly the right spot,and use grease to hold them there while you install the valve body..and its TWO gaskets and spacer plate!...

..they fell out on me 100 times,as I tried putting the shift lever onto the valve body..I gave up and let the tranny guy do it..I did one at the junkyard on my back once,and must have put one ball in the wrong spot..tranny lived about 5 minutes,then had no reverse!..:doah: ..I leave automatics to the experts,even if I could do it..its not as easy as it looks sometimes..:crazy:

10. NEK5

is it worth having the shift kit put in???? i was thinking about buying a tranny used (from a member here) then having a shop put it in

11. diesel4me

debateable..

A shift kit can improve the shifts,and extend the life of the clutches..IF they are not already worn too much!..the kit increases line pressure,so it does help in some ways to extend tranny life..as I stated before,they can finish off a tranny that has high mileage or poor maintenence..

If your not towing daily,or beating on it that bad,I'd say a cooler is more important than a shift kit is...but its nice to have both..

It's not that difficult to swap in another tranny,unless you have no jacks and a place to do it..in that case having it done would be a good idea..I've done several alone,but its not really fun...:crazy: