Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reverse Thermal Expansion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I had something strange happen last nite when I was putting my starter back in.

The bolt closer to the drivers side didn't screw all the way back in. I took the starter all the way out and tried just the bolt by itself and there was about a 1/4" of thread left on the bolt. I got the same result when I tried the other bolt to make sure they were the same. I tried to clean the hole out the best I could but didn't have pipe cleaners or any kinda wire brush to use.

The starter seemed to be in there tight with the one bolt all the way in and the other 1/4" away from being seated, so I just left it.

Any ideas why or maybe more importantly, what should I do. Should I get a wire brush and take the started back out and clean it good. Or just use 2 washers under the bolt? Or just leave it.

Thanks as always. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

DO NOT JUST LEAVE IT if it was tight when it came out you need to find out why its not going back in all the way. if nothing els use a shorter bolt or washers

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my guess would be some of that gunk that monkeyed up your starter in the first place, got in the hole. doesn't have to be much to jam up the threads.
    i'm not an engineer, but it sounds to me like its the perfect application for a couple of washers.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

OK OK don't yell at me [​IMG] .

[​IMG] Just kidding! I will pull the starter back down tonite and try to get in there with something to clean it out. If that doesn't work, I will throw some washers in there.

Thanks again mudhog!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>