Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reversed Echobit flip and 56" springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 18, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Reversed Echobit flip and 56\" springs

Started getting some new stuff bolted to the frame. There's no weight on it to see if the shackle is going to sit right, but I think it will work out. If after I get the body on and its not sitting right I'll switch the flips back to the right sides and make some longer rear shackles.

[​IMG]

Center pin location from stock 52's to flipped 56's (long side forward)
    [​IMG]
    other side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    front side
    [​IMG]

Stock 52" spring flipped on reversed flip (shackle bolt to the rear instead of the front)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll start the front 52" spring mounts next week /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Reversed Echobit flip and 56\" springs

hmm shackle angle doesn't look that great. Good but could be a bit much on compression. Maybe a longer shackle would help, I could be wrong, anyone else agree or disagree? must consider there is no weight on it yet.

3. jjlaughner

Yeah I'm wondering about the shackle angle. Its about 25-30* right now but I'm betting it compresses alot with a full tank and 1/8" floors /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    If need be at that point I'll switch sides and slap on the extended drop shackles.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think the second to last picture is playing tricks with my eyes but it looks like more than a 30 degree angle. 25 to 30 is about ideal in my eyes but not with no load on there.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you look at this picture it looks at about 25-30*
    [​IMG]

it may be good just the weigh it is, if not i wouldn't swap brackets. you would need a even longer shackle that what you would with the way the brackets are on now.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah if the angle doens't work I'd leave the brackets as they are and run a 6" shackle. Will "hurt" the shackle angle and make it closer to what you want.

7. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

that pinion angle is going to be rough to and how much far back is your center pins w/ the 56s, and Im glad you go these pics I cant make up my mind wether Im going to run 56s or 57s

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why will pinion angle be rough? Could be pretty good for a CV shaft or just angle the axle no problem. My springs are angled pretty good but I need new spring bads for the right width so it will be fine.

9. jjlaughner

Center pin on the 56's are 3.5-4" back from where they where, but with the flip is more like 2.5-3". I'm OK with that because I bought a driveline for my 6" lift that was way to long so I think it will work well with the rear axle moved back.

The center pin to rear is 24" on the old and the 56" springs, so the extra 3.5" is out the front, minus 1" for the flip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] had to trim an overlapping leaf
    [​IMG]

I guess I should mention these are 1/2ton 56" springs /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I replaced the top leaf of my 52" pack with the top two leafs from a 56" pack /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I know about your hybrid pack thing and something really isn't right about it. Must be that the 56 is flatter or something but the little arch porblem in the middle of the pack does not look like a good thing. Springs can't fan out if they are already maxed out on their retainer.

11. jjlaughner

they will lay flat with weight on them /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    the 52's do have a little more arch, but they are just touching on the tips, once it gets some wieght on it (like around 3 bills /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) it lays smooth with the other pack.

old leaf and new ones
    [​IMG]

12. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

a 56" spring does lay flatter and the center pin is 4" off from center. it looks to me that you will be forcing how the spring will lay. that is alot of unwanted stress on a spring. and is your shackle been movved back 4" yet? because the angle is way off when unloaded, by the pics you have. knock the stock rivets out and use grade 8 bolts to replace them after you move your shackle back 4"
    after that you should be good to go with a good set of springs. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a 90 degree shackle angle is NOT optimal. Does no one understand this concept?

14. jjlaughner

A. I'm not using a 57" spring like most people that move the hangers back do...
    B. I reversed the sides that the shackle flip went on so I basically moved the shackle position back 1.5-2"
    C. these are still the stock shackles and there is no weight on the spring yet.
    Add 800lbs worth of 14bolt and tires and that shackle will pull straight down, pile on the truck body, full tank of gas and stuff in the cargo and I bet that shackle will sit at about 45* (which will probley be a bit much and I'll end up making a slightly longer shackle).
    Once the body gets swapped over I'm going to digout the engine hoist and twist this thing up a bit before I start making shackles and relocating parts /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

okay once more.
    when you put your panels and tank and what ever else on the shackle will infact move even more to the wronge direction. it will move so far that it will try and wrap your spring around the shackle it's self
    you said it your self you made up only 2 inches of the 4 inches of spring you have. what is not to understand.

you still have factory rivets in your pics. so your shackles are in the stock location for 52 inch springs. but you have 56 inch springs you are mounting on your frame ( ie. 4" longer springs) you do have to move your shackles back or you will mess up your shackles and/ or springs ( they are even unmatched with the mix match you have of 52" and 56" together). /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif there is nothing else you can do but move the shackles back and hope your springs settle together for a desent ride quality.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't move the shackle back, but not 4". More like 2". You're going to have too much shackle angle with it loaded otherwise.

If you move it back 4" your shackle angle will nearly defeat the purpose of having a shackle flip.

17. jjlaughner

[​IMG]

I'll probley just buy the longer shackles and leave the hangers /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Even with longer shackles I think you're still going to want to move the hanger back some.

19. jjlaughner

yeah when I pull the tank to put the EFI tank in I might go ahead and move the hanger back 2"