Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reversing 56" rear springs??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLUESMAN, Mar 25, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Reversing 56\" rear springs??

Okay, I already have 56" rear springs on the K/5 and was thinking of reversing them to make the wheelbase longer and increase the departure angle.There seems to be enough room for the diff(14 bolt).a couple things that I see that that be a problem are the shock mounts and modifing the exuast tailpipes.Oh yeah and the big one...a new driveshaft!I'm going to swapping to a SM465 manaul(right now has the TH350/203), so I'll need a new one anyways.Anything else that I'm not seeing?Who has done this?I know I'm not the first.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Reversing 56\" rear springs??

I haven't done it but I've been planning it, except with a set of 57" Ford springs turned backwards. The only thing I can think of that you have not listed is the e-brake cables and possible correction to tilt the pinion back up (due to moving back along the arc of the spring). May not be necessary but, something to think about. Depending on the length of your brake line, that may need some attention too.

3. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I'm starting this project tonight. I replaced my TH350 with a TH400 which gives me 3 1/8" longer drivetrain including the new adapter. So I'm going to install some 56" 2" lift Skyjacker springs that I had laying in my backyard. You will have to shim the pinion angle back up and the offset only moves the axle back ~2". I'll also offset mount the axle an inch more to get the 3" I need. This will put the diff housing close to the gas tank but it should clear. I'm planning on remounting my shocks on the front of the axle leaning towards the center of the K5 at the top.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sorry, but lifting your truck 2" in the back isn't going to make your driveshaft seem 2" shorter. You might get 1" from that, but that's about it. Just get it shortened or shorten it yourself...it's really cheap. It's when it's too short and needs to be longer that it gets expensive!!

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

What we are talkin' about is actually reversing the rear springs and using the long end(rear) in the front.The 56" long springs are 4" longer than the stock 52's.This would lenghten the wheelbase and put the rear tire 4" rearward.I'm thinking that my stock driveshaft(which is from an TH350/203) would be damn close when I swap to the SM465/208.So the only problems lie in the exuast hitting the rear tires and making new shock mounts.Then I'll have to cut even more off the rear rocker panels.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Okay...I did understand that in the first place, but now I realize that not only are the springs 2" lift, he's the same guy that was talking about flipping them backwards to move the tire back...okay, I was just a little mixed up, I get it now.

Sounds like a lot of work though. I'd just cut it down myself...it's just too easy...but I've got access to people that could help me and the necessary equipment. That stuff just sounds like a lot of extra work for a TH 350-400 swap...but I usually either expect to make a driveshaft or get the one that comes with the setup you're swapping in.

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Actually the way I'm looking at it....it would the perfect time to do it.I have the present shaft out of the Th350/203 and the SM465/208.The biggest problem I see is the shock mounts.But even that would solved by drilling new shock bolt holes 4" rearward on each side.The diff looks like it would clear the skid plate and a little cutting of the fenders/rockers would be about it.Oh did I already mention that the truck has the shackle flip?I'm just looking info on if anyone is/has done this.Of course I'm the same guy that was going to try and swap in a 'Burb 40g tank too.....and that did'nt work!!! LOL! I think my 38"s are looking smaller everyday!!!Do these mods ever end???

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't know about the fuel tank issue...I have a pickup, it has saddle tanks.

I got broadsided in mine and 4 months later it still hasn't leaked a drop, can you believe that?

No, the mods never do end.

And if your 38s are too small or you have a problem with them, give them to me. I'm looking for a good set.

No the mods don't ever end or they wouldn't be any fun. Even BlazzinOR who has everything you could possibly want (TPI, 1 tons, lockers, etc) still talks about more projects and upgrades.