Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Reversing an 8274

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by realsquash, Jun 16, 2004.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Guys,

I'm fabricating a front winch bumper to hold my 8274. The grill will be cut open to push the winch back up in there pretty far, a couple inches from the radiator. I'm trying to prevent hurting the approach angle as much as possible. One of the things that would be helpful is to move the fairlead up to the top bolts and run the winch in reverse. It would also help prevent jamming the end of the winch line (synthetic) and fairlead (plastic) into obstacles.

I've torn my 8274 down completely and everything is a straight-cut gear. I don't have any major reservations about doing this but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

shouldnt be a problem, that winch doesnt brake in reverse via a drum brake

there is a clutch on the side that does the work, you would just need to unde the arm that grips the teeth. it seems useless anyway, and makes freespooling a bich. (at least on mine)

3. realsquash

Oh crap I forgot about the brake. That's a really useful thing to have /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I could reverse the plate with the teeth on it... I wonder if I could get the spring-loaded pawl reversed, too.... Hmmm.... out to the garage!

Andy

4. realsquash

Scratch the whole idea, I just looked at it. I forgot about how the whole brake deal works and it can't be reversed. Arg!

Andy

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

sorry /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Forgive me for my lack of winch knowledge here, but...

Couldn't you just re-wind the cable/line on the drum so the free end is on top? Your controls would then be reversed, but if all the gears are straight-cut, it seems to me that this would work.
    Of course, I don't have a winch so I'm just talking out of my ass here. But sometimes my ass says things that make sense...

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

no, there is an external brake on that winch that would have to be miraculously rotated as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

see the big drum on the left hanging off the case.. that is where the issue lies

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Can the flipper that engages the teeth on the brake be flipped over? It's just a bolt that it pivots on isn't it?

10. realsquash

The problem isn't the brake on the outside of the winch. That can be reversed, I checked on that yesterday. The problem lies within the gearbox. The method in which the brake is applied would no longer work. The "plate" on the gearbox side of the brake is pushed into the brake pack when you have force applied to the drum (like when you're winching and you let of the power, the force on the line pushes applies the brake).

The other option is to mount the winch backwards in the truck, which in my case would solve a couple problems actually. Since I'm mounting it way up into the grill the spool release will be easier if it's mounted backwards. But the motor is right out in front then, etc. Not to mention the mounting issues.

Oh well, maybe there's a brit version that runs backwards? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Andy

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

How about mounting the winch facing forward, but tilted forward as well? That would move the motor away from the radiator, while still allowing the winch to operate normally. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i dont think that the bolts that hold that baby together would work in tension. it would bull right outta the aluminum housing

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK... Let me try again to explain what I'm thinking:

Does the brake work only when powering cable IN with a load? Or does it also work when powering OUT with a load?
    If the brake DOES work when powering a load both IN & OUT... then just power all the way out 'till the cable is totally unwrapped from the drum. Now, if it's possible (I'm unclear on how the cable end is attached to the drum, so I don't know), keep powering OUT on the control. The cable will now wind "overhand" as opposed to "underhand". OUT on the control will now be IN.

See what I'm saying?
    Or am I just beating a dead horse that I know very little about?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

if you reverse the winding of the drum, the brake will not work. thats the issue.

in fact it will be braking under winching conditions.

i.e. when you're trying to pull little billy outta the mud, the brake will be working.
    alltho not much resistance it will be some, but the main problem is you wont have a brake under free spool conditions, or when you're powering down a drop, and you let of the switch.

will the winch work in reverse, yes. will the brake work, no

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK

So is this one-way braking just an 8274 thing, or are all winches like this?

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's also not good for the cable to wind it up on the drum backwards. Cable is designed to be wrapped only one way.

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This might not work so well for a 8274 because of the design but couldn't you just make a winch mount that would mount the winch upside down? You get the high fairlead and you don't have to do anything except build a mount that will work. Suck it back as far as you can between the frame rails and your money. Or am I missing something? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

18. realsquash

That kinda defeats the usefulness of moving the fairlead up...

Andy

19. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the oil wont get to the gears if its upside down.

and why cant wire be wound backwards... i cant see it caring.

most other winches use a braking system in the drum (that uses the wire as a heat sink from the friction).wich is braking under all wire out conditions where the motor is being spun ie, power out and slow descent . the 8274 has a completely external unit with a hollow drum.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wire that is wound right hand is supposed to go on the drum that way. Wire round left hand goes on the drum that way. I don't know exactly why, I could dig up some old info from the Navy the next time I'm at my mom's house.

Any Navy manual is a good source for info on cable, AKA, wire rope to them.