Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Review of Doetsch shocks and ?? on mounting them

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Apr 15, 2002.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Well I got the Doetsch Tech shock Pt# 3403 and instally them in the stock mounting place in the front (none in the back yet) I hade serious death wobble (especially w/o swabar, bent tierod, and no shocks.) i put the shocks on and it has all but disappeared. I intentionally went to places I KNEW i would get DW, went the right speed and everything and at the most i can "feel" it comming, but it never develops into the full on crazy DW. i seriouslyt dont know how i drove around w/o shocks for about 2 years, the shocks are pretty soft and basically ride like a caddy. i would have to say a setting of 2-3 for the rancho 9000's. Now i just finished reading the writeup steve wrote for the shock mounts and my ? is what is the best ride height length for the piston. do I just put it in the middle so i have equal compression and extension, or is there some formula?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Someone asked this question in the ORD forum and Stephen had a good answer. Basicaly he said to set the shock so that at full stuff there would still be like 1/2" of shock shaft showing. That way you don't have to worry about bottoming out the shock and you will have all the rest left for droop.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

excellent advice, but the doetsch tech shocks have a built in bumpstop at the bottom of the compression, its pretty neat. probably mount it so its right at that bubber bumpstop (no pressure) at full stuff.

4. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Where did you buy those shocks? I haven't had any luck (probably looking in the wrong places) with online parts stores.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Summit Racing carries them - good prices too!

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status