Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Review: Optima Deep Cycle Blue Top Marine Battery

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, May 20, 2003.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

This is just a quick review of my experience with this battery.

I LOVE IT. 650 Cold Cranking Amps. More than enough so far. I got it at Pep Boys for $149.00 plus tax because they did not have the Yellow top. The best Price I have seen anywhere before or since. I do not have anything extremely exotic installed yet. Just replaceable lamp headlights 55/75 Watts and 2 130 Watt Procomp Explorer 8", a York which I will get to Shortly and a fairly power intensive stereo. The Marine Blue Top is Awesome for accessories because of the extra wing nut poles.

On occasion I have a little trouble starting the truck. This is in no way a battery problem. (Except when I'm an idiot). I think these are heat related problems but I'm not sure and so far it has not been a big deal. I have had to run the starter for 20+ seconds several times in a row before it would start. I have no trouble with the battery, even when in low gear going up a steep incline.

I have <font color="red">COMPLETELY</font> killed the battery on 2 seperate occasions. The first time I left the switch to the York on (before I rewired it to only turn on with the ignition) for TWO WEEKS without running the truck. I had to jump the truck from another car (this took a while) but once it (the truck) stared I left it idling for an hour or so and had no trouble after. Until...I left the head lights on for <font color="blue">Three Days</font>. Once again I jumped the truck and let it idle for an hour or so. I have since (three weeks) been using the vehicle as a daily driver and have had no problems.

This Memorial Day weekend I will be using the ProComp lights even if I'm not 4 wheelin'

I will leave some feed back about this next week.

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Its good to know that they aren't ripping you off, because for 150 bucks that battery better be damn good.

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

You will not fully recharge a deep cycle battery with your trucks alternator. They are designed to be run to zero and then recharged overnight with a trickle charger. Dont be surprised if it only lasts a year or two as an every day battery. As you have seen though you cant beat it for running things like winches and flood lights

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Talking about the wing nuts, I always switch to Marine brass terminals any time I change battery cables. Makes unhooking the battery a snap...

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Russ, what are Marine brass terminals? Any pics?

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

They are terminals often used in boats. Just a regular terminal with a pinch bolt on the end, but made of brass so they hold up better. The terminals then have a bolt sticking up on the back. Your wires end with a flat "lug". You slide the lug over the bolt and tighten down a wing nut. Takes no tools and about 10 seconds to disconect the battery. Also easy to add accessories if you like, but I don't use it for that...

I'm afraid this is the best pic I have.
    [​IMG]

7. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Is that the D34M or the D31M Optima? I have the D34M and it's only 650 CCA. The D31M model is 900 CCA but it's way too large (physically) to fit in my truck. Just curious. I have the blue top, and the red top as my main and love them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Heheh, sorry, that was a typo...I have 650 amps. Thanks for catching that.