Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Revisit: Best Dry Lube

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Mar 21, 2005.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There was a discussion a while back about square drive shafts and the high coeff of friction of dry steel on steel. Specifically, how it related to my series of broken transmissions that resulted from bent springs and the axle moving forward rapidly while under torque load.

There were several suggestions for various lubrication options, but some of the "paint on" dry lubes discussed in this thread look great but I have no source? Any ideas or other options? Something that will hold up more than one or 2 trips would be nice. Some day I'll order a HAD, but I just can't afford it right now (though it would undoubtedly be better than wasting another transmission... :crazy: ) and I like the "can't hurt it" square shafts... Plus, I like that I built them myself along with everything else on my truck. :D

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you can get the right thickness, you could try that plastic stuff (UHMRE or something like that) that is on harleys body. i would think it would hold up, if you can use if for hawse fairleads and such.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

all of the guys that I wheel with just put alot of grease around the tube, there is also some graphite paint you can use, you can get the paint at any hobby store.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, get with a plastics manufacturer and see if they can get/make you some UHMW-PE tube in the size you need. Baring that, how about just polishing the snot out of the shaft and then painting it with graphite paint? Best el-cheapo solution I can think of...

j

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Russ,

Why not just tap the outer square tube for a zerk fitting?...Maybe do 4 of them (one on each side)..... :dunno:

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This stuff. I used a very similar product in my last job, to smooth the shifting action of transmission top covers. You may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else; aviation suppliers seem to charge a little more "because it's aviation..."

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There are lots of various dry film lubes out there. Finding one isn't the problem. Finding one that works and stays on the parts is. MISF has recently been on a kick with some dry lube stuff that paints on and then oven/heat cures. Might be made by Microlon, not sure. I'll look into it.
    One of the companies offering DIY ceramic piston coatings has a line of dry film lubes that also paint on and then oven/heat cure.

UMWPE would be a good liner material, so would any of the Acetals (Delrin, Celcon, Turcite, etc.). I would stay away from Nylon and Teflon due to their cold flow characteristics. A glass filled Nylon MIGHT work.

Another option might be to buy several of the replacement plugs shown here: https://reidecom.reidtool.com/xephr/edit/ITEM_GROUP and put them into the driveshaft.

8. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

i used to work at a Tractor Supply Co. store and they carry a product called Slip Plate. it comes in a gallon or a spray can and is about like liquid graphite. i have never used it on a truck, but it works good on farm equipment's PTO shafts.

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like the cheapest, permanent solution! IMHO.

We ship out rollers at work that get alot of adhesive on them. They come back with a baked on teflon coating that lasts a long time. Though it does wear off. Always wanted to get my frame and axles coated (never afford it though) so that red clay mud would just rinse off!

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Swain is the coating company I was thinking of. Haven't looked to see if they have something applicable. It's not the DIY that I was thinking it was though. Have to dig a little more.

For that use try PAM or a product that circle track racers use called "Mud-Off". Should be able to find it at Speedway Motors, Coleman, Port City, or AFCO.

11. BadDog

Thanks guys.

For those recommending grease, that was discussed on the other thread. Most problem I've been told about by people running square shafts out here involve grease contamination, and most run dry. What I really didn't realize early on, but became clear in that other discussion, was that the "other guys" were running linked Toys and such. Not heavy full size truggies with V8s on soft leafs that bent regularly. So while they didn't have troubles running them dry, I did. That's assuming the conclusions that were drawn on that other thread are, in fact, correct. Anyway, no grease for me since that would require some sort of boot and/or wiper to prevent mess and contamination.

And normal zircs would get stripped right off, likely on the first trip, but could be replaced with plugs I guess. But even plugs or "needle" zircs would probably get hashed in short order.

Graphite and motorcycle dry chain lube were early ideas, but some good ones here too.

Slip Plate sounds like it may be good, but no TSC around here and didn't find a local distributor. Thought about checking Home Depot.

The stuff ntsqd is talking about REALLY sounds good, though maybe a "no start" since I would never get my shafts into the oven, even if the wife agreed.

The plastic stuff is also a no start due to it's "flow" characteristics and the lack of room or way to keep it in place. Seems any solution along those lines would likely be more expensive and troublesome than building a seal or just calling up Jess (which I'll do some day).

So far I think, graphite or chain lube is the likely winner…

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Do it when she's visiting her sister.........
    LOL

Those plugs from Reidtool.com would only require a threaded boss and could run dry. Not sure how many you'd need though. Economics might make it a non-start.

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Russ, now come on. Think about what state you live in and what season is looming ahead of us and how hot black things that set in the sun all day get. Now they might need to get up into the hundreds of degrees but if they don't.....:surepal:

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Dragging up an old thread I found whilst deleting subs.

Russ, did you ever come up with something that worked?

My new favorite stuff to use in applications like this is motorcycle chain wax. I buy the Maxima brand of aerosol. Spray it on and let dry. Goes on liquid and dries to a non sticky wax (won't pick up dirt).

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  15. BadDog

I just recently got it back on the trail after a long time down, so I'm still "testing". Just received some of this stuff but have not tried it yet.