Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Revolver shackles that will fit a K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 20, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What shackles is it that will fit a K5? Ones for an XJ or something? I'm not looking for your reviews of these items unless you have some real firsthand experience(I believe Jek does), just want to know which ones fit a k5.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

me toooo
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you're correct it's the XJ units that fit the K5's.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I have the low rider shackles in the back now and the back end sits too high compared to the front, figure go with the revolvers I will sit lower and gain some droop.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

not that i know of this firsthand.but i heard that they would be to light duty for a blazer.think about it.it was made for a 3500 pound truck.what does your truck weigh?just what i heard.look like they articulate real well though.

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When we put a set on The Generals truck there were no problems, they onloaded a couple times we he would slam the brakes but that probally had more to do with no shocks at the time /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, on the ramp we built it worked great, still with that said i wouldnt use them. As far as actually unloading he made a set of brackets that locked them while street driving, just need longer bolts

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Actually if you know the history of the company they were made for the chevy's 1st(Metal Made Right IIRC). then TeraFlex bought them out and labled them all for Jeeps and quit advertising them to chevys and fords. And all of the kits are made the same, just depends on spring width and hanger configuration. The shackle doesn't know what kinda vehicle it is on /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Would those work on a Burb or are we pushing the load limit then?

I'm still trying to decide which way to go with the rear, long low arch springs w/ flip or long springs w/ revolver.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers.. i may be the only guy on ck5 currently running revolvers.

1) the ones that fit are generally sold for the XJ. As 55 said, what they are sold for has a lot more to do with spring width than vehicle weight.

2) Ive never had a problem with them unloading to the point where it would be a problem. Ive hit the brakes purdy hard and, while I cant see them while driving, i think that they do open up a little bit but its really not that big of a deal. Only problem I could imagine was if you were hammering down on the brakes AND swearving really hard at the same time... then things might get scary. They are a relatively simple device, a for-street locking device would not take a rocket scientists to design.

3) revs add just a bit of lift height... its probably less than an inch, but they add some.

4) I have heard (but never seen) that some people have managed to get a revolver ALL the way opened up and then somehow got the shackle to lock in that position and it was very difficult to get back to normal. Like I said, never seen it myself... just heard... so take it for what its worth. Limiting straps are not all that expensive, so it might be worth it to invest in a set if you plan on running them (that said, I haven't).

5) installation of revolvers requires a shackle flip.

any other questions? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j