Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Revolver shackles, why don't I see them here?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 12, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Revolver shackles, why don\'t I see them here?

WHat do you guys think of revolvers? I haven't seen any rigs with them on here. I read the review on Off-Road.com and thought they looked pretty good. You guys have another opinion?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Revolver shackles, why don\'t I see them here?

They aren't really strong and they make for one exciting ride.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Shawn (the K5 with revolvers on offroad.com) doesn't even use rollovers /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif anymore. They have a tendancy to unload and open up on the uphill side of a vehicle while going across sidehills /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. There are a fewpeople on here that still run them but there seem to be mixed emotions over them. If you are interested in increased rear wheel travel for a relatively low price, you might look into springer suspensions for a similar concept that is much more predictable, reliable, and SAFER /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

All of the above, and Terra-flex do not make them for full size rigs anymore as well...

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

shackle flips are more driveable and predictable and they don't make them for FS rigs.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I just sent a pair of scissor shackles off to "Senavater" which can be locked closed for the undesirable situations where you want a normal shackle. Ask him in a week or so on his opinions since they have a similar design to the revolvers (only there is no twisting motion). They were way too much when added to my 57's, but other local guys with stock springs really liked the added flex and built in lockouts. If revolvers had lockouts, I think more people would run them.

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Feel free to send a set over here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually I've seen these scissor shackles in person and man are they beefy. I got excited when they were demonstrated on how they work. Look forward to them going beyond the prototype stage and being offered to the open public.

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

if you are really interested in revolvers you can use the ones meant for an XJ (jeep cherokee) they are the same as the ones that teraflex use to sell for fullsizes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. And if you didn't already know, they can only be used in conjunction with some sort of shackle flip whereas the springer setup will bolt into your stock hangers/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have revolvers. pics in webshots. just a FYI, you have to install a shackle flip to use them on our rigs. It is the same model as the xj, as noted.

I have had no probs with mine... but then again I havent abused them either. I am going to rig up a simple locking mechanism for them with a quick disconnect so when I am on-road I have a factory ride. I am also gonna run with limiting straps out back so they dont open up to their max. Some yahoo actually got them to lock open one time at max flex.

j

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

k thanks guys, was wondering about if there were reasons and I see there are. I am planning(when I finally turn my rig into an all out off road toy) to go to a shackle flip with 57" ford springs so I was just curious.