Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Revolver shackles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB2Blazer, Nov 21, 2004.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if there is a company that makes revolver shackles for a K5? If so what company, and how much do they run? Also if I put revolvers on the rear do I have to have them on the front as well?

2. Sam 10b

Sam 10b Registered Member

I don’t know if you want to run revolvers cause I have heard nothing but bad things about them. Yeah they give you flex but they also do strange things when you are backing up and axle wrap becomes a big problem.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

huh? haven't heard either of those problems before. The only real issue I have heard of is sudden unloading of the shackles
    ANd that seems to be a bigger issue when they are used int he front. As for Teraflex(the company that makes revolvers) they no longer sell shackles "for" the K5 but XJ revolver shackles work.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

pm jekbrown. He runs them. I have seen them in action. They give some crazy flex!

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

The biggest pieces of SH*te that I have ever used on my truck. Axle wrap compounded... try backing up a ledge once they are "open". It is complete necessity to run some sort of axle locating link with revolvers. Oh, and if you "air" your truck, get ready for breakage of revolvers.

My opinion (worth nothing to anyone), burn your cash before you buy these completely bogus pieces of feces.

save your money and buy ... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifCOILOVERS BABY

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

save your money and buy ... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifCOILOVERS BABY

[/ QUOTE ]
    deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif haha like I was considering Revolves over the coilover plans

7. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Awesome thanks alot its always good to hear from someone who has used/heard of them and how they perform.

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

yeah, I was laughing when I typed that response.
    In all honesty, I have broken more with revolvers than any other part. I literally shattered the "h" portion of a rear CV driveshaft and completely destroyed the rear slip yoke on another instance. All of this was because of the massive amounts of axlewrap allowed by the revolvers. Also, the "plastic" bushing that the revolvers rest on was completely cracked and smashed when I did finally sell them. I never linked up the rear with my revolvers though. Perhaps your experience could be different from anyone I know (including myself) that has had relvolvers.

I never had any downhill crawling [extreme downhill] unloading but uphill ascents really made that rear end hop like a whore on meth.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you shattered any driveshaft parts it was due to one of two things:

#1 binding caused by not limiting your down travel and allowing the CV to blow its mind

#2 insufficiently sized for the application.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dunno what probs peeps have had with revs, but Ive had em on my rig for what... 3 years now? never had axlewrap to the point where it was a major problem, never had them lock in the open position even when they are fully extended and Ive never had any rev-caused breakage either. There certainly have been times when they have made it more difficult to get over an obstacle, but at the same time they have made it easier to get over others. IMO, if used in conjunction with limiting straps and maybe a good trac bar they are a nifty suspension mod. Sure, someday when I have the $$$$$ I'll go with coilovers etc... but thats gonna be a lil while away so for now the revs are staying on.

oh, and just an FYI... there never was (afaik) a revolver made specifically for full-size chevs. They simply sold the same revolvers designed for the cherokee. The install directions that came with mine were for the cherokee even though I ordered them for my K5. Because they are made for a different app, revolvers require a shackle-flip like the one from ORD.

j

12. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you shattered any driveshaft parts it was due to one of two things:

#1 binding caused by not limiting your down travel and allowing the CV to blow its mind

#2 insufficiently sized for the application.

[/ QUOTE ]
    for the record I had my revolvers for at least 2 years...
    after getting rid of my revolvers and going back to just ordinary shackle with flip [instead of shacklflip and revolvers] I never broke my driveshaft again. I thought the idea of revolvers was to allow for crazy flex. A limit strap would curtail that movement right? Perhaps a limit strap to the center of the axle would have been a little better. Still, I broke my driveshaft twice. I got rid of the revolvers and I didnt break the shaft again. Deductive reasoning would relate that the revolvers were the culprit.

I always planned on going to coilovers. I wish I would have just cut out all the middlemen [suspension wise]. 3 lift kits, heavy duty shackles, revolvers, bushing kits etc. But then I wouldn't have had such an awe inspiring experience with those revolvers.

I do know that several rockcrawling pros got rid of their revolvers after severe unloading problems on extreme events.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    for the record I had my revolvers for at least 2 years...
    after getting rid of my revolvers and going back to just ordinary shackle with flip [instead of shacklflip and revolvers] I never broke my driveshaft again. I thought the idea of revolvers was to allow for crazy flex. A limit strap would curtail that movement right? Perhaps a limit strap to the center of the axle would have been a little better. Still, I broke my driveshaft twice. I got rid of the revolvers and I didnt break the shaft again. Deductive reasoning would relate that the revolvers were the culprit.

[/ QUOTE ]

False. Your driveshaft failed because it was operated outside its design parameters.

This is why I have a chain welded to my front axle's pinion that runs to the frame. People might make fun of me but I'm not blowing up another driveshaft due to unrestricted pumpkin droop.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my buddy Jake is working on a setup using 2 shackles in the place of the single rear factory shackle, similar to an AK-57 setup is his idea i think. i'll be sure to either have him post it up when its done and tested, or take some pics and post em up myself.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This could be done easily with a shackle flip.

All you need is a poly bushing that fits inside a piece of pipe. Take two pieces of pipe and notch a 3rd. Make sure the first two pieces are parallel to each other and use the notched piece to hold them together and presto, you've got a homeade revolver shackle, bolt your stock shackle to that and you're good to go.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I didn't say revs were perfect. I wouldnt use them for comp rock crawling because they arent that great on steep decents. I recommend the lim straps because the shackle, nor the springs or shocks should be what your suspension max's out on. You'd still get mad flex, you'd just have mad flex that wasn't likely to break junk.

I think I'm gonna try to run a RE-joint equipped shackle on my rear springs at some point to replace the revs. They seem like a good piece o gear and are rebuildable.

j

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dude no offense but if you don't understand the idea of using a limiting strap in the proper fashion I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes more flex is too much flex. You don't run limiting straps on your coilovers do you? I can't say I would make that choice, even if Randy Ellis told me not to. ANd tim is right, if you blew your CV it was from overflexing and that should have registered, you should have figured out where was your max flex and limited that thing.

18. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Ok, first I don't claim to know everything about suspension or "limiting straps". I realize that limiting straps are there to avoid over extending drivlines and shocks etc.

Contrary to what you said about limiting straps on my rig:
    I do plan on running them and I do plan on running air bumps also.

My rig does not see a lot of air time yet. Randy is a friend of mine so I value his opinion. He is a master fabricator, won the TTC in 95', he pioneered extreme rockcrawling [along with his friends the Campbells] and is a genuine 4wheeler. Man, he even allowed me to make payments on my front suspension [for over a year]!
    I asked him if they were necessary and he said it depends what I'm doing. I asked Rob Bonney [4 wheelers supply fabricator] he too said they wouldn't hurt but it depends what I do. Hell, I even asked the head shock guru at King Shocks and he said they are probably not necessary if I don't air the truck all the time.
    But airing the truck is becoming more enticing so...I will likely get them. Everyone has an opinion on what is the hot setup etc. Fourwheeling has many "camps" of thought. It seems most guys think they know it all on the "messageboards" but when they own a business based on extreme wheeling, have established themselves as top fabricators in many venues and are actual friends of mine, then I will listen with more than a deaf ear. I choose to listen to guys that know fourwheeling and all the parameters of various vehicles.

As far as understanding them [limiting straps]... there is not much to understand. They limit droop of components. THere is such thing as too much flex. I found that out and got rid of the pieces of feces that allowed me to get too much. I'd rather lift a tire and keep going than flex to the moon and break all my junk.

I stand behind my experience with revolvers. They were cheap ways to get flex, true. They allowed me to get too much flex and allowed major axle wrap to occur. So I sold them to someone who likely will have the same problem.

19. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree with juanblzer. I have wheeled with many people who had revelvers and have taken them off because of the reasons juan listed.

You can get plenty of flex with a good set of leafsprings set up correctly. All those goofy shackles, double shackles, etc are just gimics for ramp champs and create more problems than they solve.