Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Revolvers on my K-5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazininmy78, May 30, 2006.

1. blazininmy78

blazininmy78 Newbie

I have seen all these nice K5's with revolver shackles on them, and dang it I want a set too!!! Unfortunately, with all the nice articles and pictures everyone always fails to supply the information of which shackles to buy. They dont make a set for full-size and I've been told one time that cherokee ones work, but I dont want to buy a set because one person told me they would work. So if anyone knows for a fact which ones work I would GREATLY appreciate passing that info along.

Jason Anderson

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've believe i've heard bad things about them on fullsize rigs. something about the suspension randomly loading and unloading if memory serves me correctly . did you try a search?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

4. blazininmy78

blazininmy78 Newbie

I've tried all kinds of searches, and its not any daily driver anymore and I only play in it, so hopefully the random loading and unloading of the suspension wont bother me to bad....hopefully!

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

get a good roll cage.
    and some harnesses...

6. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    or you could just use something made for your K5...i'll be using a ORD shackle flip with a 6.0 HD shackle & 63s...i think i should articulate more than enough with this setup

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the cherokee revs are the ones Teraflex sold for fullsize chevies. You need a shackle flip to run them. If you're interested, I'll sell you my ORD 4" shackle flip and revolver shackles both. Lemme know.

j

8. blazininmy78

blazininmy78 Newbie

Thanks for the information, just for the record, I have an awesome cage in it and 4 sets of belts,(buckets in the back). Safety always is first since I usually have my sons with me when I'm wheelin, as for the shackle flip kit, already have one, had it for a while and love it. What is the deal with the 6.0 HD shackles? What kind of mods did you have to do for the 63's??

9. RGV72BLAZER

ORD makes some 6.0 HD shackles which are 2" longer than my stock shackles on a Gen1. so with the shackle flip & longer shackle, i'll be getting ~6 of lift, maybe more since the rear will be a bit on the lighter side with no top, no tailgate, no doors. the 63s, i'll be putting greaseable bushings in them, and using some of jekbrowns write up on the 52" swap, i'll be cleaning them up, painting them, and adding some teflon to them. i'll be extending my wheelbase to around 118" so i'll be moving the spring hangers to relocate the springs.

10. jekbrown

teflon baaaad... UHMW-PE gooooood. ;) :thumb:

j

11. RGV72BLAZER

lmao...oh yea i forgot my bad...it's been a while since i've read your write up...

12. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Just an fyi, the shackle flip = 4" and then your 2" longer shackles will only give you about 5" of lift.

2" longer shackles will only give you 3/4-1" of lift. I have a 4" flip, 6" shackle, and a zero rate to level out to the front 6" springs.

13. RGV72BLAZER

hmm...interesting...talked to Stephen @ ORD & he told me it'd net me 2"...i guess i'll have to figure that all out when i finally get my suspension going...i was going to get some zero rates, one to push the axle forward & one to push the rear back...well we shall see how it all goes...thanks for the heads up tho...

14. jekbrown

another alternative to zero rates, if you just want axle relocation, is to just drill some new holes in your spring perches. Thats what I did on my D60 because my reverse-highsteer doesn't leave room for zero rates. Works like a charm and its pretty much free.

j

15. RGV72BLAZER

i had to sit & think...drill new holes through the springs?...no dumbie, drill new holes thru the spring perches...lol...so i'd drill the hole on the rear most part of the spring perch right...

16. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

correct, but i woulndt go back far. you want enough for the spring to still sit on on noth sides of the pin.

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Amount of lift will depend greatly on shackle angle...I run tons of angle (forr good droop and a 6" shackle would net me no lift over a regular flip and shackle setup...

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Same here. With my shackle angle and a 4" flip with a 6" shackle I still had to run a 1" block to equal my front 4" spring and Dana 60.

Ira

19. jekbrown

yeppers. I did it on my D60... my ff14b perches already came with holes. In the front you drill the new holes toward the rear of the rig...... on the rear axle its the opposite. That, of course, assumes that lengthening your wheelbase and lowering your approach/departure angles is the goal. Its good for an inch. I wouldn't go any more than that. IMO, every ince helps and it is free! :)

j

20. RGV72BLAZER

so i can drill the holes 1" from the present hole? what if i put on longer spring perches?...i'll be relocating the rear spring perches anyway